Call for proposals: Faculty impact fund
The Faculty Board has made available a fund of €10.000 to (partially) fund initiatives to enhance the societal impact of research and/or education.
Each member of staff with a paid contract at our faculty can apply for a grant of maximum €2000. A grant can be requested for (partially) covering incidental costs for an initiative with the aim to enhance the societal impact of research and/or education. The fund is meant for new initiatives. Requesting funding for ongoing initiatives is not possible.
In this fund the definition of impact of the British Research Evaluation Framework (REF) is used:
‘Impact includes, but is not limited to, an effect on, change or benefit to:
- the activity, attitude, awareness, behaviour, capacity, opportunity, performance, policy, practice, process or understanding
- of an audience, beneficiary, community, constituency, organization or individuals
- in any geographic location whether locally, regionally, nationally, or internationally.
Impact includes the reduction or prevention of harm, risk, cost or other negative effects.’
It is up to the applicant to convincingly argue that the initiative for which the grant is requested, contributes to a positive impact on (groups of people in) society. This can be through different types of activities, such as (but not limited to) outreach, policy influencing, knowledge transfer or societal networking.
The fund cannot be used to buy out time for the applicant, but can be used to hire extra support, for example a student assistant, to support in the organization of an event.
Are you planning to team-up with primary or secondary schools or are primary or secondary school children you target group? Contact the ICLON for support via Gijsman@iclon.leidenuniv.nl .
Applicant are required to use this standard application form. If a proposal receives funding, this money needs to be spend in the (calendar) year of 2021.
 At least for the duration of the proposed initiative.
Applications will be reviewed by a review board, existing of both academic staff and support staff from our faculty. The committee will advise the Faculty Board, after which the Faculty Board will make a decision on which applications it will award funding to.
The review board will base its advice on the following criteria:
- Is the aim of the initiative clearly formulated and obtainable?
- Is the target group clearly formulated and is it feasible that the proposed initiative will reach this target group?
- Does the way of evaluating the success of the initiative give the applicant enough information to determine whether the initiative was indeed successful?
- Is support from this fund necessary/important for the success of the proposed initiative.
What is the procedure?
The deadline for submitting a proposal is the 1st of April 2021. The outcomes of the review procedure will be communicated to the applicants by email as soon as possible after the deadline.