All public teams in MS Teams at the university changed to private for security reasons
At the start of April, the ISSC made all public teams in MS Teams private. This is a security measure to prevent unwanted access to chats and files within Teams. Public teams are accessible to all students and staff at Leiden University, and all the chats and files within these teams are visible to all. If this is a conscious decision, that is fine, but it does mean a greater risk of data breaches. That is why the decision was made to make all public teams private. If you still want your team to be public, see how to do so below.
- Teams that were ‘public’ are now ‘private’. This is a security measure to prevent unwanted access to chats and files.
- This change may affect the access of some participants in Teams meetings if they are not a member of the team.
- If you are a team owner and want your team to be accessible (public) to all students and staff (people who aren’t a member of your team), this is possible but be aware of the potential consequences of this.
- If you are inviting a guest to a Teams meeting, make sure that you don’t give them access to private files or chats. If necessary, hold your meeting outside your team.
- All university teams are private, unless the owners have chosen otherwise. How do you know if your team is public or private? See the explanation in knowledge base item 2982.
- If you are a team owner and want to change your team from public to private, or vice versa, see knowledge base item 2982 for details.
- You can still share and save files in MS Teams. A new team is private by default. If your team is private, only you and your team members (the people you add to the team) have access to the chats and files.
- If you invite a guest, remember to remove them from the team once they are no longer needed.
Are you the team owner? Click on the three horizontal dots (the ellipsis) behind the icon and team name and select Edit team. Under Privacy you can select Private (default) or Public.
Are you a member of a team? Click on the three horizontal dots (the ellipsis) behind the icon and team name and select Manage Team:
In the next field hover over ‘Team’ in the top right to see who can see the channel content:
Questions? Contact the helpdesk +31 71 527 8888.