Mailbox Migration Faculty of Archaeology
On 14 June all Outlook mailboxes and calendars for staff of the Faculty of Archeology are transferred to Exchange Online. This migration will take place in the background and your mailbox and calendar will remain available during the process.
What will I notice after the migration?
Hopefully very little:
- After migration Webmail will be available via Office.com. Log in to Office.com with [ULCNusername]@vuw.leidenuniv.nl and choose “Outlook” in the menu with available apps (also see the helpdesk portal manual). From the old webmail (webmail.campus.leidenuniv.nl) you will be forwarded to Office.com for a period of time.
- When you work on a university computer, your mailbox, archive folders and agenda on your university (managed) PC are automatically transferred to the new mail environment and are immediately available in Outlook. Shared functional mailboxes are also available.
- On your university telephone or tablet or your own device you can use the Outlook app for Android or iOS, available in the Play Store or App Store (manual).
- If you use another app, you have to re-link your mailbox yourself (see helpdesk portal manual).
- The latter also applies when you work on a Mac or Linux.
- Should the linking of functional mailboxes still be a problem, see the following manual.
- You may be asked for your MultiFactorAuthentication (see the helpdesk portal manual).
How can I prepare for the migration?
To be on the safe side, you can set the following things in motion in advance:
- Write down the names of your functional mailboxes, so that they can easily be linked manually.
- Download the Outlook app for your mobile from the Play Store (for Android) or the App Store (for iPhone).
Will I get support?
If you encounter problems as a result of the migration, please contact the helpdesk. This can be done in the following ways:
- Send an e-mail to email@example.com
- Contact the helpdesk via the helpdesk portal on the employee website (helpdesk.universiteitleiden.nl)
- Call 071-5278888.
Why are we migrating to Exchange Online?
We are migrating in order to achieve better integration between the various Office 365 apps. Exchange Online also offers better security (for example against phishing emails). After the migration, it is possible to implement some new apps that only work when using Exchange Online, such as Bookings and To Do. Finally, your mailbox has a much larger capacity. Messages about a full mailbox will therefore be a thing of the past!