How to apply for your commuting, home-working and internet allowance
In November we informed you about how to receive a home-working allowance. This has not changed. What has changed, however, is that from 1 January 2022 you can once again receive a fixed commuting allowance. This is calculated on the basis of the travel schedule (number of travel days) you complete in the Service Portal. As of 1 January 2022, you can no longer claim for your travel days. Your internet allowance is also linked to your travel schedule.
You will receive allowances based on your travel schedule in the Service Portal
If you filled in your travel schedule as of 1 September 2021 and nothing has changed since, you will not need to do anything. You will automatically receive a commuting, home-working and internet allowance. If you did not, you will need to fill in your travel schedule as of 1 September 2021.
If you wish to apply for the kilometre allowance through the individual choices model, you will also have to fill in your travel schedule from 2022. Then you will be able to apply for the kilometre allowance. You can do so from 1 February.
How to fill in your travel schedule
To fill in your schedule, follow the steps outlined by the PSSC. Your manager will then approve your application. We understand that your schedule can change. However, the idea isn’t that you change your number of travel days every week or month. We ask you to make the best possible estimate of your travel days from the start of the academic year until the end of the calendar year. Fill this in once. You should only change your schedule if something structural changes in the number of days that you travel to work (you do not need to do this for days off and holidays).
When filling in your travel schedule in the Service Portal, please take the following into account:
- When filling in your travel days enter a starting date. To receive a retroactive home-working allowance from 1 September 2021, enter 1 September 2021 as the starting date. If you have done this, you will also automatically receive a commuting allowance from 1 January 2022 based on what you have filled in.
- In accordance with the University’s policy on working from home, you must agree in advance with your manager on which days you will be working at home or at the University.
- If you only work at home, fill in 0 travel days. Your home-working and internet allowances will be calculated on this basis.
- To have allowances paid in the same month:
- Staff must fill in their travel schedule by the 14th of the month at the latest
- Managers must approve the travel days by the 15th of the month at the latest
If you have any questions about this information, please see the following page:
Or ask your question via the PSSC servicepoint.