Education, Facility, Organisation
Podcast recording in The Hague: Media Center opens
From Monday 9 May it will be possible to record a podcast at the Media Centre at Wijnhaven. Room 4.64 has been equipped to record your own podcast. In addition, the Future Learning Office (FLO) is investigating the possibilities of using this space for video recordings. For instance, small knowledge segments for use during lectures, or other information that might be relevant for students.
The Media Centre is primarily intended for teachers. Students may use the space for academic purposes. University lectures need to grant permission to use the space or set an assignment as part of their courses.
This note describes what a podcast is, what the Media Centre has to offer and explains how to make reservations at the end of this note.
A podcast is an audio recording of a conversation between two or more people, where the topics can be very diverse. The podcast can then be listened to at any time.
To introduce the Media Centre, two of our FLO employees - Christa Anker and Saskia Postema - recorded a podcast. In this podcast you can hear how the Media Centre came to be and what options are available. Click here to listen to the podcast (in Dutch).
A podcast can be used as part of their education by a teacher or professor to convey certain knowledge to students or other interested parties (inside or outside the university).
To create a podcast, the following steps are important:
• Think carefully beforehand about the purpose of your podcast.
• Introduce yourself as the presenter and introduce the guests.
• Discuss the central theme with your guests beforehand and indicate roughly which questions you are planning to ask so that the guest can also prepare themselves.
• Keep your podcast short and sweet, the ideal listening length is between 15 and 20 minutes. With more substantive podcasts, for example for education, the ideal listening length is even shorter. Regardless of the intended goal,try to keep the podcasts as short as possible and to record or publish each different topic as a separate podcast.
• Do not talk at the same time/let each other finish (use non-verbal communication; nod, raise hands).
FGGA also has its own podcast series entitled: Kennis & Verdieping (in Dutch), which is produced by the Marketing & Communication department. Since it is also possible to use podcasts as a tool for academic communication to highlight actualities or published research output. The communications department is more than happy to help you with the content of your podcast, writing the script, and – if desired – provide a moderator or interviewer. Would you like to know more, or do you have an interesting topic, get in touch with us via email@example.com.
Recording a podcast in The Hague
Recording a podcast at Wijnhaven in short:
• The Media Centre, room 4.64, is available daily. Use the Room reservation system to check whether the room is available at the desired time or reach out to the Service Desk on the second floor of Wijnhaven.
• Lecturers need to arrange room reservations for students (in connection with a study assignment). For example, by reserving the Media Centre in blocks and letting students in.
• The podcast can be recorded by means of a Micro SD card (you must bring your own) that can be plugged into the podcast device or by means of the available cable that can be connected to your own laptop.
• For the recording of a podcast, the Future Learning Office (FLO) can provide technical support to get you started. This includes explaining how the recording is made and what options the current technical setup has.
A manual is available in the room if you require more information about the equipment and how to work with it.
Would you like more information or make a reservation at the Media Centre?
Check via the Room reservation system whether room 4.64 (the Media Centre) is available at the desired time. Send an e-mail to the FLO via Mediacenter@FGGA.Leidenuniv.nl to request a reservation and indicate whether support is required.
The staff of FLO will contact you!