Apply for a PhD scholarship for a candidate with a migration background (Mosaic 2.0)
Mosaic 2.0 is a PhD scholarship programme of NWO aimed at graduates with a migration background. The procedure consists of a pre-proposal and a full proposal. Any research topic can be eligible.
Who can apply?
Professors and associate professors submit on behalf of the candidate as main applicant the pre-proposal and the full proposal and when submitting the pre-proposal they have the right to confer doctorates. If the supervisor is not an associate or full professor, they can act as a co-promotor and seek collaboration with a colleague who has the right to confer doctorates.
- was born in one of the countries in Africa, Asia, Caribbean, Central and South America or Turkey. or: at least one of the candidate's parents was born in one of these countries.
- has Dutch nationality or a valid residence permit (type II or IV).
- graduated and completed the entire university degree in the Kingdom of the Netherlands. or: is a final year student at a university in the Kingdom of the Netherlands and must have graduated before 11 July 2023.
- Pre-proposal: 7 Februariy 2023
- Full application: 11 July 2023
Contact the grant advisor
The pre-proposal focuses primarily on the candidate’s profile and research idea. If you plan to submit an application, please contact the grant advisor of your institution or faculty. The advisor can guide you and the candidate through the application process and answer your questions. The advisor will also evaluate the research idea and the candidate's CV.
By Mid-May the results of the pre-proposal round are expected to be notified to candidates. Please note that you can send NWO a motivated response if you have good reason to disagree with the committee’s assessment.