All persons making use of Leiden University buildings and grounds must comply with the general University house rules. These are listed in the Regulations on the Use of University Buildings, Grounds and Other Facilities, and are intended to guarantee order and safety for guests and staff alike.
In addition to the University Regulations, some University locations also have their own house rules. Violation of the local house rules or the University Regulations may lead to exclusion from a building.
Download the arrangement
Use of university buildings, terrains and other facilities regulationDownload
The Faculty of Science has a number of house rules. The aim of these rules is to guarantee order and safety for visitors and employees in the buildings.
Leiden University considers a healthy working environment as important. A smoking ban therefore applies in all university buildings, except in the designated smoking areas outside the buildings. Smoking at other locations is not allowed.
At the faculty of Science, smoking areas can be identified by orange ash tiles.
The smoking areas around the faculty buildings are situated at the following points:
- Smoking shelters at the Gorlaeus Lecture halls, Van Steenis and Sylvius.
- Near the entrances of the Van Steenis, the Snellius, the Sylvius and the Gorlaeus Lecture Halls.
- Oort building: at the beginning of the walkway.
- Huygens building: near the main entrance, for the bridge to the LMUY and at the supplier entrance.
- LMUY: in front of the entrance at the bicycle racks and in the courtyard.
- Gorlaeus Building: in the courtyard.
Questions? Please contact the Service desk.
In the buildings of W&N, presence outside normal working hours is only allowed if this is required for the progress of normal activities. Activities and experiments outside working hours may only be carried out with the permission of your supervisor. The presence of at least 2 people is required.
Read more about the safety regulations outside working hours .