Didactics - University Teaching Qualification
Supervising thesis students (UTQ module)
Learn to coach and help students who have to write a thesis
- Target group
- Mario de Jonge (Educational advisor & Researcher)
Writing a thesis is a struggle for many students. How can lecturers make sure that it does not turn into an obstacle for both parties? In other words: what does optimal thesis supervision look like, and how far does your responsibility stretch? This course focuses on supervision of the writing process and the assessment of Ba and Ma theses but the principles for PhD supervision are more or less the same.
This training is aligned with the UTQ objectives and supports you in working towards your university teaching qualification.
This module consists of two meetings. During the first meeting we will discuss the following topics:
- Regonise several supervising roles
- Regonise stages in supervision
- Consider how far your responsibility strechtes
- Increase efficiency of supervision
- Give constructive feedback
During the second meeting we will discuss the following topics:
- Feedback written and oral
- Conversation skills
During the training the following questions will be answered:
- What is the purpose of a thesis?
- How are students prepared for the writing a thesis?
- How can students be guided?
- Wich expectations do you have of your students?
- What are your responsibilities as a supervisor?
4 hours assignments and 6 hours sessions
For Leiden University/LUMC staff and teachers from Erasmus University Rotterdam and TU Delft the lower amount (€250) applies, for other participants it is the higher amount (€350).