Working effectively | Communication | Diversity
Beyond the labels: how to contribute to an inclusive culture
If you want to learn how to deal with differences between people and to create space for diversity in the broadest sense, inclusive skills are essential. In this online program you will learn about diversity and inclusion, unconscious biases and how to develop inclusive skills to help you contribute to an inclusive environment where everybody feels seen and valued for who they are.
- Target group
- PhD candidate
- Ruth Nahumury
- Online learning programme
- The workload for this course amounts to 10 hours
Why this course?
Diversity is a fact in our society. But making sure that everybody feels safe and seen for who they are, sometimes is hard. The question is: what can I do to create space for diversity in order for people around me who might be different in whatever way, feel seen and valued for who they are.
The learning program ‘Beyond the labels’ provides participants with knowledge and tools to recognize unconscious biases in themselves. Participants learn the difference between diversity and inclusion and the importance of both. They gain knowledge about the functioning of the brain, the origin of prejudice and the various aspects of prejudice. They also learn how to overcome these prejudices. This enables them to actively and consciously contribute to an inclusive environment where there is space for diversity in the broadest sense of the word.
During the learning program, participants are introduced to six inclusive skills from the No Labels RUIMTE model™ (RUIMTE = space in Dutch). This model is developed by No Labels based on more than 10 years of experience in the field of inclusion and diversity. The model consists of six skills. Our experience shows that these six skills contribute to an inclusive work environment. This is how the No Labels RUIMTE model™ forms a compass for inclusion.
- Gain insights in the terms diversity, inclusion and unconscious biases
- Create awareness of personal biases
- Develop inclusive skills to contribute to an inclusive environment
The program has been developed on the basis of experiential learning and is based on basic scientific research, linked to everyday practice.
The program consists of 3 blocks:
- Kick-off 23 June 15:00 – 16:30 (1,5 hour) – introduction on the theme of Inclusion & Diversity, biases and the No Labels RUIMTE-model™. During this session participants form pairs with whom they will follow the 2nd block.
- No Labels e-learning programme ‘Inclusion Challenge’ (5 hours total spread over 2-3 months) – after the kick-off participants will partake in the e-learning program. They will meet regularly with their learning partner (linked with during the kick-off) to discuss their progress and gained insights and knowledge.
- Close-out 19 September 10:00 – 11:30 (1,5 hour) – participants share their experiences and are given the chance to ask questions and translate the learnings into their daily life.
- You can register for this course using the registration buttons on the right side of this page. Please note the difference between Staff (employee of Leiden University) and Extern/LUmc (e.g. extern, self-funded researchers or employee at LUmc).
- The course is free of charge for employee- and contract PhD candidates. For external PhD candidates, we charge a fee of €325,-. Please check our Terms and Conditions.