Research | Working effectively
Data- and Project Management for PhDs
Project management is about structuring and monitoring your work. Knowing the what, why, when, where, and how is crucial to get a grip on your work, obtain results, and maintain some peace of mind. Data management involves the creation, safe storage and preservation of research data. This PhD starter kit covers the theory and practice of both data- and projectmanagement.
- Target group
- PhD candidate
- Michelle van den Berk (Digital Scholarship Librarian) Ruben Verheul (trainer and coach, PhDconsult)
- The workload for this course amounts to 28 hours in total, including preparation, attendance during two trainings sessions and reading.
Why this course?
You'll learn how to deal with your data during and after your research project. You will make your data findable, comprehensible, accessible, and reusable. Thinking about data management early on in your PhD will save time in the end. You will have a clear understanding of the principles and the benefits of good data management. The project management techniques addressed will enable you to take the first steps towards owning your project.
Prior the course, you are expected to submit your research proposals and, if possible, your (preliminary) planning and data management plan. If you do not have a datamanagement plan, it will be sufficient if you describe very briefly the role of research data in your research. During the course, you will familiarise yourself with key project and data management concepts and planning techniques. You will finalised and submitted (revised) plans between day one and day two of the course.
- This course covers the topics:
- Basic principles of project management and their application to research projects
- Regulations and academic standards regarding research data management
- Techniques for planning work on your dissertation (and other tasks)
- Analysing your work habits, strengths and challenges
- Pitfalls, priorities, and personal effectiveness
- Best practices
Please note: The LUMC offers its own Data and Project Management course, so consult your supervisor to find out which course is best for you.
- You can register for this course using the registration buttons on the right side of this page. Please note the difference between Staff (employee of Leiden University) and Extern/LUmc (e.g. extern, self-funded researchers or employee at LUmc).
- The course is free of charge for employee- and contract PhD candidates. For external PhD candidates, we charge a fee of €250,-.
- After confirmation we kindly ask you to mark your calendar and save the date(s) for this course.