Networking skills for young scientists
Research suggests that networking as a researcher can both improve your research and your career. Networking helps you to get in touch with potential mentors and people to cooperate with.
- Target group
- Kick Moors (Docent/coach en loopbaanadviseur)
This workshop deals with ‘how’ to network based on scientific literature and on interviews with respected scientists of different age and background.
PhD candidates and postdocs of Leiden University and LUMC
The topics that will discussed are (depending on questions of participants):
- Methods to get successfully into contact with relevant people.
- Methods to overcome shyness.
- Maintaining a good network and integrating it in your way of work.
- Methods to find out when and where to meet relevant people.
- Learning how to deal with stress and anxiety.
What you'll learn
You will learn how to use a network and how to approach people and forge and maintain good relationships.
This training consists of three elements:
- This online module, with video’s, texts, quizzes and reading suggestions
- Assignments you will work on individually and at your own pace
- Half a day of training with a group of your fellow PhDs and Kick Moors as your trainer. The focus will be on your own experiences and practicing networking situations. The focus will be on your own experiences and practicing networking situations.
Please keep in mind that you need to finish the online module and submit the assignments before the day of the training (the deadline will be provided in the course information e-mail).
The workload for this course amounts to 6 hrs in total, including preparation, attendance and reading.