A strong network is essential for both improving your research and your career. Networking will help you to disseminate your ideas and to get in touch with future employers, mentors, and project partners. During this course you will learn where to meet new people, how to connect with them, and how to maintain relationships.
- Target group
- Kick Moors (Gast trainer / coach) Hermen Visser
- The workload for this course amounts to 9 hours (3 hours of e-learning, one online group session of 3 hours, and one on-site session of 3 hours)
Why this course?
This course aims at improving your networking skills. You will learn to distinguish a variety of networking opportunities, both direct and indirect, and both in-person and online. Also you will learn how to present yourself and your research in various social situations and how to deal with the awkwardness that come with it. And, you will practice networking skills and learn how to further develop them.
Examples of questions we will work on are:
- Why is networking important?
- As a junior researcher, what can I offer?
- Whom to network with?
- What are online networking means and how do I use them?
- How do I overcome shyness and approach new people in on-site settings?
- How can I maintain my relationships with e.g. ex-colleagues?
- And all the questions about networking you bring to the table
This course consists of the following elements:
- An e-learning module with video’s, texts, quizzes and reading suggestions about the basics of networking
- Assignments you will work on individually at your own pace
- An interactive online group session of three hours about personal branding and online networking with trainer Hermen Visser
- A three hours on-site group session focussing on your experiences with trainer Kick Moors. You will practice how to deal with social awkwardness of networking situations by role-playing.
Please keep in mind that you need to finish the online module and submit the assignments before the day of the training (the deadline will be provided in the course information e-mail).
- You can register for this course using the registration buttons on the right side of this page. Please note the difference between Staff (employee of Leiden University) and Extern/LUmc (e.g. extern, self-funded researchers or employee at LUmc).
- After confirmation we kindly ask you to mark your calendar and save the date(s) for this course.