Management | Research | Working effectively
Planning and managing your PhD project
Are you a PhD candidate who could benefit from structuring your work, having a firmer grip on things and confidence in your research? In the training course 'Planning and managing your PhD project' you will learn the principles of effective project management and how to apply those to your dissertation project. You leave the course with a realistic planning and a clear understanding of what is required to implement it.
- Target group
- PhD candidate
- Ruben Verheul (trainer and advisor PhDconsult)
- 38 hours, including attendance during 4 training sessions and preparation
Why this course?
Various aspects of project planning, implementation and monitoring will be addressed, as well as the personal and organisational context of PhD research. You will familiarise yourself with the principles and techniques of project management, translate these into a (revised) research plan and learn to apply these in your daily work.
- Basic principles of project management and their application to research projects.
- Techniques for planning work on your dissertation (and other tasks).
- Analysing your work habits, strengths and challenges.
- Identifying ‘opportunities' and ‘threats' in your environment.
- Pitfalls, priorities and personal effectiveness.
- Giving and receiving advice and feedback in “intervision” (peer review).
The training consists of four elements:
- An online module, with video’s, texts, and reading suggestions
- Assignments you will work on individually and at your own pace
- A day of training with a group of PhD candidates and a trainer
- Three shorter intervision sessions in which personal experiences with project issues will be discussed
Please keep in mind that you need to finish the online module and submit the assignments before the day of the training (the deadline will be provided in the course information e-mail). There will be three extra peer review sessions.
- You can register for this course using the registration buttons on the right side of this page. Please note the difference between Staff (employee of Leiden University) and Extern/LUmc (e.g. extern, self-funded researchers or employee at LUmc).
- The course is free of charge for employee- and contract PhD candidates. For external PhD candidates, we charge a fee of €250,-.
- After confirmation we kindly ask you to mark your calendar and save the date(s) for this course.