Communication | Research
Presenting skills for researchers 'Stop performing, start connecting'
Giving a lecture, defending a grant proposal or presenting at a conference is part of your life as a scientist. With good presentation, your audience will understand, believe and remember you. This course, with online and physical sessions, will help you improve your presentation skills.
- Target group
- PhD candidate
- Suzanne Verhees (Trainer presentation and storytelling skills) Hans Dekker (Centre for Professional Learning, trainer presentation and storytelling skills)
- The workload of this course is 20 hours including preparation and attending 4 training sessions (4x 4 hours offline, 1x 0,5 hours online)
- Start dates 2023
- 25 September, 2 November
- Start dates 2024
- 27 February, 28 March, 16 May, 11 June, 24 September, 11 November
Why this course?
Are you looking for an effective way to share your in-depth knowledge with peers or with people outside your field of expertise? Do you sometimes struggle to structure your presentation in an accessible and attractive way? Or are you worried that your presentation is not that interesting? Would you like to create a better connection with your audience and bring your message across in a conversational, natural way instead of simply presenting a set of slides? This course will teach you how to present with more impact.
After this training course you will be able to:
- Enhance the impact of your presentation.
- Structure your presentation in an accessible and attractive way;
- Bring your message across, instead of simply presenting a set of slides;
- Let go of the script, trusting the strength of your story;
- Reflect on personal patterns that get in the way of a relaxed and effective presentation;
- Present in a conversational, natural way.
- Session 1: WHY - What’s so important about your research? And why is it important to you? – 4 hours
- Session 2: Preparation and structure - Who’s your audience, what’s your goal and your key message? – 4 hours
- Session 3: How to make an impact on stage and what might hold you back to present naturally? – 4 hours
- Session 4: Practice, practice, practice – 4 hours
We will work with various assignments throughout the course, in person and in between sessions.
During the course you will work on a presentation of your choice that serves your academic purposes. At the end of the course you will be able to create more impact with your presentation.
=> You are required to attend all training days! so check your calendar <=
- You can register for this course using the registration buttons on the right side of this page. Please note the difference between Staff (employee of Leiden University) and Extern/LUmc (e.g. extern, self-funded researchers or employee at LUmc).