Scientific Conduct for PhDs (Science)
A number of cases of scientific fraud and misconduct were bad publicity for the scientific world. Are these cases signs of a system in crisis or just some anomalies in an otherwise good scientific framework? This course will focus on the grey areas in scientific integrity dilemmas and your role as an individual scientist to prevent misconduct.
- Target group
- Hubertus Irth (Scientific director / Professor of Biomolecular Analysis) Floske Spieksma (Associate Professor & Director of Education)
- The workload for this course amounts to 5 hours including attendance and preparation.
This workshop on scientific integrity will give you the opportunity to discuss dilemmas in scientific (mis)conduct with fellow PhD candidates.
Faculty of Science PhD candidates and postdocs from Leiden University, in the 3rd year of their doctoral research.
- Please prepare yourself in advance with our online module Scientific Conduct:
- What is scientific misconduct?
- How should you handle a conflict of interest?
- Does your supervisor ask you to bend the rules in name of science?
- To what extent can money corrupt scientists?
- What are the 'grey areas'? Discussion of cases that are not so obvious.
What you'll learn
You will learn to what extent science already has - or perhaps needs to develop - a system to prevent scientific misconduct and what role you can play as an individual scientist.
The workshop will take 3 hours in which you will discuss scientific integrity dilemmas that fall in the grey areas. This will help you recognise, and think about, dilemmas that might arise, and it will be the basis to help you and your colleagues strengthen your ideas on this topic. The goal is to improve scientific integrity, within and outside our university.
- You can register for this course using the registration buttons on the right side of this page. Please note the difference between Staff (employee of Leiden University) and Extern/LUmc (e.g. extern, self-funded researchers or employee at LUmc).
- The course is free of charge for PhD candidates (Faculty of Science) from Leiden University.
- After confirmation we kindly ask you to mark your calendar and save the date(s) for this course.