Supervising PhD candidates
The success of a PhD candidate depends in part on the guidance he or she receives from the supervisor. In this course you will learn what you can do to get the best out of your PhD candidate.
- Target group
- Martine Broekhuizen (UU)
The practical aspects of supervision are addressed in this training. In addition, we focus on the role of the supervisor as a coach.
Lecturers and starting associate professors from Leiden University who are responsible for at least one PhD candidate.
- Developing a supervision plan
- Developing scenarios for frequently occurring difficult situations
- Training conversation skills for giving feedback
- Recognising risks and warning signs
What you'll learn
After the training course is finished, you will be able to guide your PhD candidate in a targeted and motivating way. In addition, you can:
- plan the PhD trajectory
- clearly identify mutual expectations
- differentiate your supervisory style depending on the phase of the PhD track
- design progress assessments in terms of content and procedure
- recruit and select
- better prepare the PhD candidate for life after the PhD
The training course consists of a combination of theory and practice. Newly acquired skills will be honed using role playing.