Didactics - University Teaching Qualification
Inclusive education - reaching all your students (UTQ module)
How to take into account and deal with a wide variety of students, all with their own history, personality and challenges? What is diversity and inclusivity and how can you work on this in your teaching?
- Target group
- Daan Romein (Educational advisor/Team leader Teacher Professional Development in Higher Education) Arjen de Vetten (Educational advisor)
The training will focus on pedagogy for a diverse student population. In your teaching practice you will encounter a wide variety of students, all with their own history, personality and challenges. In order to enable all your students to benefit from your teaching, you will need to deal with these student differences purposefully; but how do you do that? How do you reach all your students?
During this training we will among others discuss these topics:
- Awareness of your (implicit) assumptions and associations;
- How these assumptions and associations influence your students’ learning;
- How to reach all your students;
- Knowledge about differentiation in class.
This training is aligned with the UTQ objectives and supports you in working towards your university teaching qualification.
Programme - set up
This training consists of one meeting in which we will discuss the teaching and learning process and how lecturers and students are prepared and supported for the diverse needs of all students. Some theory will be presented and linked to your practice, to give you specific ideas on how to deal with issues such as; cultural diversity, equity issues, group dynamics, differentiation in class and creating an inclusive learning environment.
- Reflect on your expectations towards your students;
- Check assumptions you have;
- Interpret students’ diverse needs;
- Create a safe learning environment.
- For Leiden University and LUMC staff: €125
- For other participants: €175
2 hrs assignments + 4 hrs session