Didactics - University Teaching Qualification
Supervising thesis students (UTQ module)
Learn to coach and help students who have to write a thesis
- Target group
- Mario de Jonge (Teaching Adviser) Arjen de Vetten (Educational advisor)
Writing a thesis is a struggle for many students. How can lecturers make sure that it does not turn into an obstacle for both parties? In other words: what does optimal thesis supervision look like, and how far does your responsibility stretch? This course focuses on supervision of the writing process and the assessment of Ba and Ma theses but the principles for PhD supervision are more or less the same.
This training is aligned with the UTQ objectives and supports you in working towards your university teaching qualification.
Programme - set up
This module consists of two meetings.
During the first meeting we will discuss the following topics:
- Responsibilities of the student and the supervisor
- The roles of the supervisor
- Giving constructive feedback that will be applied by the student
- Making use of clear assessment criteria
- Dealing with difficult situations
During the second meeting we will discuss the following topics:
- Conversation skills
- Peer consultancy to solve difficult cases
- Recognise several supervising roles;
- Recognise stages in supervision;
- Consider how far your responsibility stretches;
- Increase efficiency of supervision;
- Give constructive feedback.
- For Leiden University and LUMC staff: €250
- For other participants: €350
2 hrs assignments + 8 hrs sessions