Leiden University operates in both Dutch and English. Both languages are used for instruction and communication. The university is currently developing a language policy, in order to provide clarity about the usage of two languages in the institution.
This policy will include:
- Language choices in communication about education at Leiden University
- Language choices in internal communication within the university
- Access to language courses for international students and staff
- English language proficiency of instructors
- Dutch and English language proficiency of students
Development and implementation
A working group has been created for the development of the university’s language policy. For implementation of the policy, Strategic communications and marketing, Student and Educational Affairs, and the Academic Language Centre will be involved as well.