Digital Learning Environment: Blackboard
Blackboard is a Digital Learning Environment (DLE) that you can use to digitally support your lectures or courses. Blackboard allows you to post all your timetables, assignments, lecture sheets and literature lists in one place, and update them as needed.
Go directly to Blackboard.Log in
Add a course
In principle, a course is added to Blackboard automatically. If your Blackboard course is not created automatically, you can apply for a course via your Faculty contact person. Please make sure your application includes the following information:
- Your name
- Your ULCN user name
- The title of the course
- The study programme
- The semester
- The uSis code (you can find the relevant uSis code in the e-prospectus)
Copyright for teachers
Make sure you comply with copyright when publishing materials via Blackboard. For more information on copyright, see the University Library website.
Copy a course
If you need a copy of an existing course in Blackboard, please inform your contact person, and don’t forget to mention the course’s title and ID. Old courses are not removed immediately, so the students’ results will not be lost.
Learning to work with Blackboard
Blackboard, Kaltura en Turnitin basics you will find in the user manuals for instructors. ICLON organises a monthly Blackboard workshop for advanced users to help you make full use of all the Blackboard features. Some faculties also offer their own Blackboard training programmes.
Blackboard is operated by the functional management unit of the Student and Educational Affairs department.
The Digital Learning Environment in 2017-2018
The digital learning environment (dlo) consists of Blackboard, and some external applications. This summer, a new version of Blackboard has been installed that solved some functional and security issues. Further, Blackboard has been enhanced with the application Pitch2Peer for pitching videos and more, and Kaltura, the university’s new video platform. When creating your Blackboard courses, please take care of copyright rules! The university will most probably phase out the well-known SafeAssign application for checking plagiarism. It will be replaced by Turnitin, with better performance in quality and quantity. Furthermore, Turnitin has the functionalities of online grading and peer review. Finally, the DLE is enhanced with the voting tool PresentersWall to gain more interaction in your classroom.
- Announcements and Mail
- How to Post URLs to Weblectures in Blackboard
- How to Embed Course Materials in Blackboard
- How to Make a Screencast
- Manual PowerPoint 2016
- How to Embed an RSS Feed
- How to Use Kaltura in Blackboard
- How to Use Pitch2Peer in Blackboard
- How to Copy Course Materials
- How to Calculate an Average in the Grade Centre
- How to Cleanup My Course List
- How to Enrol co-Instructors (and TA's and students)
- How to Batch Enrol Students
- How to Make my Course (un)Available
- How to Create a Link to an Article in the Digital Library
- How to Export and Import a Course
- How to Block Guest Access
- How to Use Attendance Columns in the Grade Centre
- Manual PresentersWall (voting) (17pp.)
- How to Install a US-International Keyboard in Windows
- Code of Conduct for TEACHERS and STUDENTS in ICT supported education
- Regeling ICT- en Internetgebruik Universiteit Leiden (in Dutch)
- How to Setup or Change my uMail forwarding
- Blackboard in Sight: Study Materials for Students with Functional Limitations