Leiden University aims to create a safe environment where everyone feels comfortable and no one experiences unacceptable behaviour. Should students experience this nevertheless, there are various resources that you can refer them to.
Aggressive behaviour and violence
If students experience or have experienced aggressive behaviour at Leiden University, they can contact the confidential counsellor for unacceptable behaviour.
If a student poses a risk to another student or a staff member, contact the concerning or threatening behaviour adviser.
Sexual harassment or violence
If a student experiences sexual harassment or violence, we advise the following steps:
- Refer the student to the confidential counsellor for unacceptable behaviour.
- If the student has experienced sexual violence in the past seven days, refer them to the Sexual Assault Center.
- If the student has experienced sexual assault in the past and needs emotional, practical and/or legal support, refer them to Victim Support Netherlands.
- The student can contact their study adviser if they are having problems studying because of the experience.
- The student can also contact the student psychologists for an appointment.
- Contact the concerning or threatening behaviour adviser if the perpetrator is part of the University community.
Complaints about inappropriate treatment
Students who feel they have been treated inappropriately by a member of staff or governing body of the University can contact the Ombuds Officer.