Think outside the books - VR en AR in academic education
- Wednesday 21 November 2018
Ever considered using new media to enhance your education? Leiden University’s Centre for Innovation is delighted to invite you to the event ‘Think Outside the Books’ on the afternoon of 21 November 2018 from 14.00 till 17.30 in PLNT in Leiden.
Discover how video based virtual reality and augmented reality can contribute to academic education
During the event you can discover how video based virtual reality (360 VR) and augmented reality (AR) can contribute to academic education. We will discuss the preliminary findings of our 360 VR pilot projects and define and explore future opportunities.
Possibilities of VR
Leiden University has been experimenting with 360 VR and AR for academic education since 2016. In 2018 these efforts were extended by the start of six 360 VR pilots in different faculties with subjects ranging from archaeology to dementia. Together with teachers, the Centre for Innovation will show you a glimpse of the possibilities these media hold for education. During the ‘Think Outside the Books’ event Leiden University’s experts will share their thoughts and experience on current trends with the technical progresses and the added value of new media in education.
The program includes:
- Welcome by vice-rector magnificus Hester Bijl
- Keynote by 360 VR developer Tim van Deursen (nominee for Gouden Kalf - best interactive)
- Market with:
- Six 360 VR pilots: Archaeological Field Techniques; Remote Sensing; Lab Safety and Security; Dementia Experience; Diversity Classroom; Media Worlds
- Two AR experiences for medical education
- A VR bar with promising (3rd party) VR experiences
- Plenary Q&A.
How to register?
The event is free of charge. Registration works on a first come first serve basis. There are still some places available. If you have already registered, no further action is needed. Shortly before the event you’ll get more information and a detailed programme.Register