Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Reimbursement of expenses for business trips in the Netherlands

Are you travelling on business in the Netherlands? Then your travel and subsistence expenses will be reimbursed. Before making a business trip, arrange permission from your manager.

Travel with public transport unless this is unfeasible, in which case you may use your own vehicle, a taxi or a rental car, but do discuss this beforehand with your manager.

If you receive a travel allowance from a party other than the University, this will be deducted from the sum for which you may claim.


The following travel expenses will be reimbursed:

  • If you travel with public transport, your actual costs will be reimbursed. If you travel by train, you may travel first class and will be reimbursed for this.
  • If you have permission to travel with your own car, you will be reimbursed € 0.23 per kilometre.
  • If you have permission to travel by taxi or rental car, the full cost will be reimbursed. When travelling by rental car, do not forget to keep a logbook of your kilometres and submit this as proof for your claim. 
  • If you have a disabled badge, you will be reimbursed € 0.23 per kilometre and any parking fees.
  • If your business trip lasts longer than four hours and takes you further than one kilometre from your workplace, you are entitled to an accommodation expenses allowance: for instance, for meals and small expenses. There are fixed reimbursement rates for these costs and you must meet a number of conditions.

Fixed reimbursement rates

Category Amount
Minor expenses in daytime (day component) 

€ 6,64

Minor expenses in the evening (evening component) 

€ 19,82


€ 20,32


€ 30,74


€ 142,10


€ 13,88


The allowance will be paid out to you tax-free, irrespective of the amount of your actual expenses, provided you meet the following conditions:

  • You must have actually incurred these expenses for lunch, evening meals, lodging and breakfast in an establishment intended for that purpose.
  • To qualify for the lunch and dinner allowance, your business trip must include lunchtime (between 12:00 and 14:00 hrs) and dinnertime (between 18:00 and 21:00 hrs). You do not have to submit receipts for these expenses.
  • You are entitled to the daytime component if your business trip lasts at least 4 hours per full 24 hrs period.
  • You are entitled to the evening, lodging and breakfast components only if your business trip includes an overnight stay.
  • If your business trip lasts longer than eight days, you will be reimbursed for the full evening component for the first eight days, following which your allowance will be halved

Route card

If you regularly take the same route on University business, use a route card (in Dutch: trajectkaart) or the like to reduce costs.

Submit your expense claims

  • You can submit your travel and accommodation expenses via Self Service.
  • Log on to Remote Workplace
  • Choose SAP Self Service. 
  • Submit your claim as soon as possible but no more than three months after the end of the calendar year.
  • Ensure that you have an electronic copy of your proof or purchase, for instance an original receipt, before you submit your claim. 
  • Before making a business trip, arrange permission from your manager. Your activity holder and budget holder must approve your claim.


Expense claims if you are not employed by the University >>

This website uses cookies.  More information.