In certain circumstances, starting five years before your AOW (General Old Age Pensions Act) retirement age, you can take one or two days of special leave per week. You forfeit a portion of your salary, but you retain your original pension accrual. This - for the time being - temporary arrangement is known as the Vitality Pact (Vitaliteitspact).
How does it work?
Starting five years before your AOW retirement age, you can take one or two days of special leave per week. With a full-time employment contract, you can choose one of two versions:
- You receive special leave for 0.4 FTE, retaining 70% of your gross salary.
- You have a work week of 24 hours.
- You are entitled to 149 hours of vacation per year.
- You receive special leave for 0.2 FTE, retaining 85% of your gross salary.
- You have a work week of 32 hours.
- You are entitled to 199 hours of vacation per year.
With a part-time contract, the reduction in working hours and vacation hours is calculated proportionally to your total contract hours.
If you are contracted for less than 0.5 FTE (= 19 hours a week), you cannot use this arrangement. If you are contracted for less than 0.66 FTE (= 25.08 hours a week), you can only opt for version 1.
Terms and conditions
You may participate in the Vitality Pact if you meet the following conditions (article 6.17 through 6.19 of the collective labour agreement):
- You will reach AOW retirement age in five years or less.
- You will be left with at least two work days per week.
- You have at least 50% of your original contract at the age of 58.
- You have at least 50% of your original contract in the calendar year before participation.
- You are not (yet) eligible to participate in the senior staff scheme (article B20 and B21 of the collective labour agreement).
- You have been working for the university for at least 10 years.
Accrued leave and leave savings
The total amount of regular accrued leave may not initially exceed one year’s worth of accrued leave. Have you saved up leave? Then you need to use it up before you start using this arrangement.
You have to ask your supervisor or mandate holder for this special leave at least three months before the desired start date. Together you can fill in the Vitality Pact Form.
The arrangement takes effect as of 1 January 2019. As this temporary arrangement stands at the moment, you have until 30 June 2020 to start using the scheme. If you would like to start participation on 1 January, contact your HR adviser as quickly as possible. Your HR adviser can also give you more information about the arrangement.