Health and safety
Leiden University does everything in its power to provide a safe, healthy and pleasant work environment. Unfortunately there may be times when you are unable to work due to illness. Or you may have questions about pregnancy, University doctors or safety risks in a work environment. Below you will find information about health and safety.
The University does its best to create a pleasant work environment. It may nevertheless happen that you are unable to work due to a short-term or long-term illness or disability.
- Here you will read how to report sick and how the University guides its employees on sick leave.
- Here you will read how to get the University doctors’ help and advice.
- Here you will read what to expect in case of long-term illness and work disability.
- Here you will read how to improve your mental fitness.
Pregnant? Read more about:
- Entitlement to various forms of leave, both during and after pregnancy
- Breastfeading rooms
- University childcare centre De Kattekop
A safe work environment
Whether you work at a desk or in a laboratory, every work situation brings its own risks. Here you will find more information about those risks:
- How do you prevent being exposed to hazardous substances? Read more about biological agents, and radiation and magnets.
- Where do you report an incident, dangerous situation or needle-stick injury?
- How do you evacuate a building?
- How do I get assistance of the in-house Emergency Service (Bedrijfshulpverlening, BHV)?
- Is there a crisis management plan?
Travel to high-risk areas
If you want to go on a business trip to an area that poses safety risks, you will need the prior authorisation of the University.
For some destinations you may require vaccinations or malaria medication. Make an appointment with the Department of Safety, Health and Environment (VGM), for a personal health advice before your trip and vaccinations.
A safe and healthy work environment begins with identifying risks. Read more about risk inventory and evaluation (RI&E), and action plans.