Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Work disability

In case of short-term or long-term illness, we will together do our best to ensure you can return to work shortly. You will be guided through this process by your immediate supervisor, the P&O department and the University doctor. In some cases, however, reintegration in your own or another position may not be possible. If you are ill for two years, the University will apply for your dismissal.

The University has its own regulations regarding illness and work disability: the ZANU Regulations (Sickness and Disability Scheme of Dutch Universities - Dutch only). These regulations stipulate among other things how your salary is paid out in case of illness, but also under what conditions the University will initiate a dismissal procedure.

Conditions for dismissal

To realise dismissal for work disability reasons a number of conditions must be met:

  • You must be incapacitated for at least 35% according to the UWV.
  • At the time of your dismissal you must have been ill for an uninterrupted period of 24 months.
  • You are not likely to recover within six months after your dismissal.
  • You cannot resume your former position and there is no other position for you within Leiden University.

Dismissal procedure

If you have been ill for an uninterrupted period of 21 months you will be invited for an interview regarding the dismissal procedure. Following this interview you will receive a letter describing the procedure. This procedure in case of illness and reintegration includes the following steps:

  • redeployment investigation
  • A medical investigation by the University doctor
  • You send a completed  WIA benefits application form to the UWV.
  • The UWV checks whether the procedure was followed correctly. The UWV then decides to what extent you are incapacitated.
  • You may be dismissed for work disability reasons. Your dismissal is in principle subject to a notice period.

If you have been ill for two years, you may be entitled to WIA benefits, which you can apply for via the UWV. In addition, you may also be entitled to the ABP work disability pension.

This website uses cookies.  More information.