Forgotten your password
Forgotten your password? Want to change your password, or your password has expired? In most cases you can reset your password yourself via the Account Services. If you are not able to access Account Services, please contact an ISSC helpdesk.
Reset your password via Account Services
You can reset your password via Account Services if you have forgotten it. However, this is only possible if you have used the correct settings for your account:
- you have registered a non-university email address or mobile telephone number
- you have set up an authenticator app or you are using a hardware token issued by the university
If you have complied with all of these points, you can now reset your password without the intervention of a helpdesk.
New password via a helpdesk
If you are unable to use Account Services, you can ask for a new password via this form or you can contact an ISSC helpdesk. You will receive a temporary password by post, sms or – with proof of identify – in person at the desk. This password has to be reset directly. It is always quicker to reset your password yourself via Account Services.
Working from home and corona: take note before changing your password
Are you working from home on a university laptop issued by the ISSC? If you are not connected to the university network via your university workplace, your password will NOT be synchronised to your work laptop. Have you already changed your password? In that case:
- Use your old password on your ISSC laptop (until you are reconnected to the university network at your university workplace in Leiden or The Hague).
- Use your new password to log in to Office 365, webmail and all ULCN applications that you use.
Updating your password
You are required to change your password every 182 days. Even if you have been given an interim password, you should change this. To avoid problems with logging in, there are a number of things you should bear in mind when resetting your password:
- Close all the applications for which you are logged in.
- Close all applications that were started via the remote workplace (Citrix).
- Switch your smartphone, laptop and tablet off, or switch to aircraft mode.
- Change your password via Account Services.
- Wait half an hour before entering your new password on your tablet, phone or other mobile device.
- You can use your new password straight away to log into Office 365, webmail and ulcn applications.
Your password expires after 182 days. You will receive a number of mails reminding you to change your password. Once your password has expired, you can no longer log in. If this happens, you should follow the same procedure as if you had forgotten your password.
Have you asked a helpdesk for a temporary new password by post or sms, but you have not received this? A letter with your account information will only be sent to the address registered with the staff administration department. No other address can be used for this.
An sms message with your account details will only be sent to the mobile number recorded in Account Services. No other mobile number can be used for this. Check whether you have provided the correct number.
To improve security, your password has to meet a number of requirements:
- The password is case sensitive
- The password must be at least 12 characters long
- The password cannot include more than 50 characters
- The password must include at least 1 number
- The password must have at least 1 lowercase letter
- The password must have at least 1 uppercase letter
- The password cannot contain diacritics (such as à and é)
- The password is allowed to contain unicode characters (such as , . ; ' " &)
- The password cannot include part of your name or username
- The password cannot include a common word or commonly used sequence of characters
- The password can be changed no more often than once every 1 day
- The new password may not have been used previously