Universiteit Leiden

nl en

PhD candidates

As a PhD candidate, if you wish to discuss your issues with someone other than your thesis director or supervisor, or if you develop psychological or other symptoms, you can contact the university doctor, psychologist, or confidential counsellor.

University doctor and psychologist

For medical or psychological symptoms, you can contact one of the university doctors. This is also the case if you are an external PhD candidate. The university doctor may refer you to a psychologist.

Confidential counsellor

If you experience problems related to your PhD that you cannot solve yourself, you can contact the confidential counsellor for PhD candidates at your Graduate School. You can also choose to go to a confidential counsellor from another Graduate School.

Below is an overview of the confidential counsellors for each Graduate School:


Graduate School

Confidential counsellor for PhD candidates


Prof. dr. David Fontijn


Dr. Rosalien van der Poel*+


Prof. dr. Frits Koning

Governance and Global Affairs

Dr. Henk Tromp


Prof. dr. Rikki Holtmaat 

Social and Behavioural Sciences

Dr. Henk Tromp


Prof. dr. Jan Boersema

*PhD candidates from the Academy of Creative and Performing Arts (ACPA) may contact the confidential advisor of the Faculty of Social Sciences or the Law Faculty.

+ PhD candidates for the Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies (KITLV) may contact the confidential advisor Faculty of Humanities.

This website uses cookies.  More information.