H2020: International Cooperation Flagships
The International Cooperation Flagship (INCO) Initiatives (not to be confused with the FET Flagships) are research initiatives recognised by the EU and the relevant partner country as political priorities of mutual interest which are eventually translated into specific calls in Horizon 2020. They help to ensure that dedicated funding is available for all researchers taking part in projects, and that international cooperation in Horizon 2020 remains high by targeting specific international partner countries.
A number of INCO Flagships were established in 2014 (including the EU-China Food, Agriculture and Bioeconomy Flagship and the Atlantic Ocean Research Alliance) and the 2016-2017 work programmes for Societal Challenge 2 and Societal Challenge 6 included specific calls for proposals.
Many new INCO Flagships will be integrated into the 2018-2020 work programme, this is largely in response to the lower than expected participation of third countries in Horizon 2020 (2.3% compared to almost 5% in FP7).
The following INCO Flagship Initiatives are included in the new Work Programme:
Pillar 3 (Societal Challenges)
Societal Challenge 1: Health, demographic change and wellbeing
- EU-CELAC collaboration for research on non-communicable diseases;
- Collaboration with Canada for human data storage, integration and sharing for developing personalised medicine approaches;
- International efforts on cohorts.
Societal Challenge 2: Food security, sustainable agriculture and forestry, marine and maritime and inland water research and bioeconomy
- EU-Africa Partnership on Food and Nutrition Security and Sustainable Agriculture;
- EU-China FAB Flagship initiative (opens 2020);
- All Atlantic Ocean Research Alliance Flagship;
- Supporting microbiome coordination and the International Bioeconomy Forum.
Societal Challenge 3: Secure, clean and efficient energy
- Acceleration of energy innovation through the Mission Innovation Initiative;
- Cooperation with African countries on renewable energies.
Societal Challenge 4: Smart, green and integrated transport
- InCO flagship on reduction of transport impact on air quality;
- Future propulsion and integration: towards a hybrid/electric aircraft;
- Greener and safer aviation;
- Innovative technologies for improving aviation safety and certification in icing conditions;
- InCo Flagship on Integrated multimodal, low-emission freight transport systems and logistics;
- Urban mobility and sustainable electrification in large urban areas in developing and emerging economies.
Societal Challenge 5: Climate change, environment, resource efficiency and raw materials
- Climate action in support of the Paris Agreement;
- EU-India water cooperation;
- International cooperation on sustainable urbanisation;
- Raw materials innovation for the circular economy: sustainable processing, reuse, recycling and recovery schemes.
Societal Challenge 6: European in a changing world – inclusive, innovative and reflective societies
Societal Challenge 7: Secure Societies – protecting freedom and security of Europe and its citizens
Pillar 2: Industrial Leadership
ICT: coordinated calls with Brazil, Japan, South Korea;
- Risk Governance of nanotechnology;
- Cooperation with China: