Studying for a PhD
You have chosen to do a PhD at Leiden University. The 2021 PhD Regulations, which were established by the Doctoral Board, specify what you must do to be granted a place on a PhD programme.
Please go to the overview of the steps in the formal procedure leading to the public defence of a PhD dissertation.
Below you will find more information on LUCRIS/Converis, and a time table that provides an overview of actions up to your graduation. However, new PhD candidates might find the following documents helpful.
- A checklist for settling in, listing what you will need to get started smoothly.
- A list of 10 actions that are useful in the first 100 days of your PhD, which is supported by a list of questions for critical reading.
LUCRIS/Converis Graduate School Management module
The Graduate School Management (GSM) module is a registration and monitoring module for PhD candidates and their supervisors. All information is stored in a uniform way and made accessible in 1 place. Converis is the software behind LUCRIS.
The GSM module offers functionalities that are designed to facilitate the administrative processing of the PhD track:
- All parties involved in a PhD track will now have access to relevant files.
- Training- and supervision plans (OBP) have to be uploaded here.
- As a PhD candidate you can register the training courses you have followed. Courses offered by HRM will automatically be linked to your course overview.
- The system supports various approvals that occur during the PhD track.
- A large number of forms (annexes) pertaining to the Leiden University doctorate regulations are integrated into the system and will subsequently seize to exist on paper.
- LUCRIS GSM is divided into 3 flows:
- Admissions: Starts with the PhD-candidate’s application and ends with admission to the Graduate School.
- Supervision Plan: Research and writing phase. Ends when the manuscript is finished.
- Graduation Formalities: Organisation of the defence. Ends with the registration of the result of the defence.
In addition, the Graduate School Office can support you with the use of the LUCRIS/Converis.
Time table PhD Programme: During the PhD programme
|Status Converis GSM
|Within three months after the start of the contract
|Within three months after the start of the contract, the supervisor draws up a training and supervision plan (OBP) in consultation with the doctoral candidate.
|For upload of OBP by PhD student
|The PhD candidate uploads his/her OBP in Converis GSM.
|The supervisor approves/rejects the OBP.
|For approval of OBP by supervisor
|PhD candidate/ supervisor
|Each year, the supervisor will hold a Performance and Development Interview (R&O-gesprek) with the PhD candidate. The supervisor registers these meetings for contract PhD candidates in Converis GSM.
|PhD candidate/ coach
|Each year, the PhD candidate has a review or monitoring meeting with an independent coach and registers this meeting in Converis GSM.
|During the PhD programme
|The PhD candidate registers courses on academic activities and transferable skills in Converis GSM. Transferable skills courses that are organized by HRM will be automatically registered in Converis GSM.
|The PhD candidate writes a dissertation with the nature, content and scope of the dissertation conform article 10, 13-17 of the Regulations.
|When the PhD candidate is ready to proceed to the graduation formalities, he/she requests in Converis GSM the start of the graduation formalities.
|Request for start of graduation formalities, start of graduation formalities approved by GSO