CEU-Praesidium Libertatis Scholarship
Each academic year, one or two full scholarships are awarded to recent graduates of Central European University (CEU) who wish to follow a 1-year master's programme at Leiden University.
- Application deadline: to be announced in October 2022
- Target group
- Countries/ nationalities
- Nationals of Belarus, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia and Ukraine
- Scholarship type
- Humanities, Governance and Global Affairs, Law, Social and Behavioural Sciences
2022/2023 application deadline passed
The deadline for the 2022/2023 application round of the CEU-Praesidium Libertatis scholarship has passed. This webpage will be updated in October 2022 with the deadline for the 2023/2024 application round.
For outstanding students who will soon graduate from CEU and wish to apply for one of the following 1-year study programmes at Leiden University:
Master of Arts programmes
- International Relations
Master of Science programmes
- Public Administration
- Political Science
- European Law
LLM Advanced Studies programmes
- European and International Human Rights Law
- International Dispute Settlement and Arbitration
- Public International Law
- At the time of application you must be registered as a student at CEU.
- You must obtain your degree from CEU in the academic year prior to the start of your master’s programme at Leiden University.
- Scholarship recipients must agree to the Terms and Conditions of the CEU-Praesidium Libertatis Scholarship.
- It is not possible to combine the CEU-Praesidium Libertatis Scholarship with another full scholarship financed by Leiden University or any other party.
The scholarship consists of:
- Waiver of the tuition fee for one academic year
- Monthly stipend of € 970 (for a period of 12 months)
- Reimbursement of health insurance policy costs (max. € 720)
- Reimbursement of residence permit fee (max. € 350)
Complete all the following steps by Friday 11 February 2022 at the latest:
- Submit an online application for admission to one of the eligible master’s programmes in Leiden University's online application portal (uSis).
- Pay Leiden University's € 100 application fee.
- Complete the scholarship application procedure at CEU. Note that your scholarship application will only be processed if you have submitted an application for admission to one of the eligible master's programmes in Leiden University’s online application portal (uSis).
For further information about the application process at CEU, you can contact Ms. Ildiko Torok, CEU Financial Aid Coordinator: TorokI@ceu.edu
Note on student housing
Be aware that finding housing in Leiden, The Hague and the surrounding area can be challenging due to the limited availability of affordable student housing. We therefore strongly advise you to take action as early as possibe. See the information on Requesting housing via Leiden University and Finding housing yourself.
The Praesidium Libertatis committee at Leiden University will select the scholarship awardee(s) from the list of preselected nominees received from Central European University. Note that an online interview is part of the selection process. The name(s) of the scholarship awardee(s) will be announced at the beginning of May 2022 by Leiden University's Scholarships Team.
The CEU-Praesidium Libertatis Scholarship was initiated to enable recent graduates from the Central European University to follow an additional master's programme at Leiden University in a field relating to social change, good governance, the rule of law and/or international cooperation.
The scholarship aims to foster the academic and professional development of the awardees, so they can protect and support the guiding principles of a free democracy and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in Central and Eastern Europe.
The student is responsible for submitting a complete application both for the scholarship and for admission to Leiden University before the deadline mentioned above. Leiden University cannot be held responsible for late and/or incomplete applications.