You can apply for a LUSTRA+ scholarship if you are a Bachelor or Master student and want to study, conduct research, or do an internship at an institution or company in the UK and all countries outside Europe, except Turkey.
- Two weeks before the start date of your LUSTRA+ period
- Target group
- Bachelor, Master
- Countries/ nationalities
- Destination countries: UK and all countries outside Europe, except Turkey
- Scholarship type
- Internship, Study, Research
- Archaeology, Humanities, Medicine/LUMC, Governance and Global Affairs, Law, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Science, Interfacultair Centrum voor Lerarenopleiding, Onderwijsontwikkeling en Nascholing (ICLON), African Studies Centre, International Institute for Asian Studies
Leiden University travel policy
You may only go abroad for study-related activities to destinations to which travel is permitted according to Leiden University’s travel policy. See the Study abroad - Health and Safety page for details.
You must be a registered as a Bachelor or Master student at Leiden University.
- Your study, internship or research activity abroad must be a fully recognised part of your study programme at Leiden University and approved by your programme’s Board of Examiners.
- Your LUSTRA+ period must be a minimum of 14 days and a maximum of 12 months in duration. Holidays prior to or after your studies, research or internship are not included.
- Your study, internship or research activity must take place in a country outside Europe (except Turkey) or in the UK.
- You may apply for a LUSTRA+ scholarship more than once. LUSTRA+ funding may be awarded for a maximum of 12 months during your bachelor’s programme, and 12 months during your Master’s programme.
Read the LUSTRA+ Terms & Conditions carefully in advance.
- During your stay abroad you must continue to pay the statutory tuition fee to Leiden University.
- If your activity abroad is cancelled or there are changes to the start or end date, you must notify the SEA Scholarships team right away by sending a mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. This may have an impact on the amount of scholarship you receive.
You cannot be awarded a LUSTRA+ scholarship if:
- Your LUSTRA+ destination country is on the list of countries that are eligible for an Erasmus+ grant.
- You are eligible for funding from the Sustainable Humanities Scholarship Internship or Study (Duurzame Geesteswetenschappen Stage of Studie) for your period abroad. Check this with your International Exchange Coordinator.
There are four award amounts available, depending on the length of your stay abroad:
|14 to 30 days
|31 to 90 days
|91 to 210 days
|211 days to 12 months
Note: These are one-off award amounts. Not amounts per day, week or month.
Tip: If you have any questions or concerns about your LUSTRA+ application, do not hesitate to contact the Scholarships Team via: email@example.com. We are happy to help.
How to apply:
|Important: If your study-abroad period will begin after 1 September 2024, please wait till after 1 June 2024 to submit your LUSTRA+ application.
- Go to the Study Abroad Portal (uSis), click on the Scholarship section and request your LUSTRA+ scholarship at least two weeks before the start of your LUSTRA+ period.
- If you cannot see LUSTRA+ in your uSis scholarship section, your activity abroad has either not yet been approved or you are not eligible for the LUSTRA+ scholarship.
- If your activity abroad has been approved and you still do not see the LUSTRA+ scholarship, please wait one day and try again.
- If your scholarship application is approved, you will receive notification via email. This email will instruct you to log into the Study Abroad Portal and take a number of steps. Read and follow the instructions carefully!
- Your LUSTRA+ scholarship will be transferred to your bank account.
- You must submit a report within one month of the end of your studies, research or internship period abroad. A template can be found on the To arrange upon your return webpage.
The LUSTRA+ scholarship was created by Leiden University to encourage students to gain international experience and specialist knowledge outside Europe.
The Scholarships Department of Leiden University is responsible for the administration of the LUSTRA+ Scholarship, but it is at all times the responsibility of the student to ensure that the application is complete and on time.
Please note: If you have to return early you may have to pay back (part of) your LUSTRA+ grant.