Education / Research officer
- Vacancy number
- 19-282 6290
- Non-academic staff
- 1.0 FTE
- Internal , External
- The Hague
- Publication date
- 11 June 2019
- Closing date
- 25 June 2019 Vacancy closed
For the advanced MSc International Relations and Diplomacy Program (MIRD) of the institute Institute of Security and Global Affairs of the Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs we are looking for an enthousiastic and experienced
Education/Research Officer (1,00 FTE)
The two-year advanced MSc IRD programme offers a unique blend of academic education in international relations and political science with practical graduate education and training in international negotiation and diplomacy. It offers high-level academic preparation for professions in areas such as diplomacy, international negotiations, governmental and non-governmental organizations and think tanks. The program was founded in 2003 and is taught in English.
- Supporting the MIRD program director and the program coordinator / study adviser;
- Supporting the MIRD admissions committee including coordination with admissions office and activities related to the recruitment of talented students;
- Provision of advice to applicants on admissions procedures;
- Contribution to community building and career preparations for the program, in cooperation with relevant stakeholders;
- In cooperation with the various other stakeholders and managers, contribute to the preparation of the curriculum and the organization of MIRD extra-curricular activities, such as field trips to Brussels and Geneva; guest lectures, graduation and alumni event(s);
- Support to educators in setting up, introducing and maintaining an education quality system;
- Provision of support for the management and coordination of student and course data;
- Preparation and note taking in framework of meetings of the MIRD education board;
- Coordination of the thesis module, including the coordination of thesis supervisor allocation and communications with academic staff and students relating to the thesis;
- Support of the internship module by organizing events on career preparations and provision of information on internship and job market.
- Experience in an academic education institution, knowledge of legislation and regulations in higher education and experience with processes in an educational institution (preferably within Leiden University);
- Strong organizational skills;
- Experience in dealing with international students; experience in community building is an asset;
- Knowledge of International Relations and Diplomacy is an advantage;
- Knowledge of the (international) job market for MIRD graduates is a strong asset;
- Excellent oral and written command of the Dutch and English language, a very good command of MS Office; a proven insight into various systems within Leiden University is an advantage;
- Motivated, flexible and proactive;
- You enjoy a challenge, easily respond to changing circumstances and are stress-resistant. You can put order in complex situations and have a good understanding of administrative processes. You are customer-friendly, solution-oriented and a team player.
The Institute of Security and Global Affairs (ISGA) is a scientific institute within the Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs at Leiden University. It focuses on multi-/interdisciplinary research and education within the international scientific field of security studies. The approach to issues of security at ISGA is glocal, that is to say that the local, national, transnational and global impact are studied and analysed in conjunction with each other. ISGA resides in the city center of The Hague, the third major city and the center of national government of the Netherlands. The Hague is known as the International City of Peace, Justice and Security.
The two-year advanced MSc IRD programme is organized in collaboration with the Institute of Political Science and with the Netherlands Institute of International Relations ‘Clingendael’, and has been housed in the Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs (FGGA) in The Hague since 2014. This post-graduate program has obtained the label ‘excellent’ in the framework of NVAO accreditation process. The work of the Education/Research officer consists of supporting the program director and the program coordinator.
Terms and conditions
We offer a one year position, with the possibility of renewal up to two years, based on need, funding and performance. Salary range from €2579 to €3445 gross per month (pay scale 8, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses(8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/working-at/job-application-procedure-and-employment-conditions.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Enquiries can be made to Mrs. Ragnild Drange, email email@example.com.
Information about FGGA can be found at http://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/governance-and-global-affairs.
Please submit online your application no later than 25 June 2019 via the blue button in our application system. Applicants should submit online a letter of interest accompanied by a CV. Please submit your motivation letter in English. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed at the end of June.
Enquiries from agencies are not appreciated.