- Vacancy number
- Non-academic staff
- Internal , External
- Publication date
- 8 June 2021
- Closing date
- 27 June 2021
As of 1 Augustus 2021, the Netherlands Institute in Morocco (NIMAR) in Rabat is looking for an
The education coordinator is responsible for organising and co-developing the curriculum for the education programmes at NIMAR. The coordinator follows Leiden’s procedures and ensures that the course programmes meet Leiden’s academic standards. For the contents of the curriculum, he or she is assisted by the scientific director and the subject teachers of NIMAR. Additionally, the coordinator provides lectures in the field of social sciences or provides training in Arabic language courses and serves as first-level support for students during their semester abroad. He or she also manages the visits of study associations, universities and universities of applied sciences and provides support to all NIMAR activities.
The education coordinator’s main duties are:
- Develop, coordinate and implement the contents of the curriculum, the student schedules and the end-of-course evaluations of the NIMAR programmes;
- Manage the registration of the programmes, their quality assurance and the end-of-course evaluations in consultation with the Faculty of Humanities of Leiden University, which, among other things, includes contacting examination and programme committees and study coordinators;
- Provide one or more social sciences courses or provide training in Arabic language acquisition (see the website of NIMAR for more information about the courses);
- Correspond and coordinate with NIMAR (guest)instructors and guest lecturers;
- Serve as first-level support for (potential) students with regard to registration, education, accommodation and general well-being;
- Provide information about the course programmes to relevant institutions and students;
- Contact Leiden University and other educational institutions in the Netherlands;
- Build and maintain a network of relevant institutions and individuals in Morocco;
- Facilitate study trips, visits and study weeks for students from universiteis and universities of applied sciences;
- Receive groups (both students and professionals) at NIMAR: provide information about NIMAR activities and Moroccan culture;
- Coordinate student housing in Morocco;
- Manage internships in Morocco, communicate with study programmes and students in the Netherlands, some supervision of intern on site.
Additionally, the coordinator supports the management team in the organisation of public events and activities.
You are a professional, pro-active and flexible team player with a service-oriented attitude. You highly value the well-being of the students and, in addition to their academic development, their general experience of their semester abroad. You are well-organised and have an eye for detail. You follow the appropriate procedures for the registration of NIMAR’s programme courses, as well as the end-of-course evaluations and establish the quality assurance of the programmes. You cooperate easily and effectively with your colleagues in the Netherlands and Morocco and do not mind looking beyond the boundaries of your own discipline. Qualifications:
- Academic degree in the social sciences, Arabic Studies or another relevant field in the humanities;
- Excellent organisational skills;
- Ability to empathise and intercultural communication skills;
- Strong understanding of the Dutch higher education system and the humanities;
- Good knowledge of Morocco, both in the academic and practical sense;
- Insight into social developments that are relevant to NIMAR;
- University teaching experience is an asset;
- Fluency in Dutch and English, knowledge of French and of spoken Moroccan Arabic is an asset;
- Depending on your background: research experience in the social sciences OR education experience with TAFL (Teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language).
The Netherlands Institute in Morocco (NIMAR) is an institute of Leiden University with a national mission. NIMAR offers, under the responsibility of the Leiden University Faculty of Humanities, bachelor’s and master’s programmes on the language, culture, religion and society of Morocco and North Africa. NIMAR facilitates and stimulates scientific research on Morocco and the region and endeavours to make this research accessible to Dutch society. NIMAR also plays a role in building a national library collection on Morocco and the Arab world.
NIMAR's staff consists of approximately ten employees and is led by the Director of NIMAR. NIMAR’s employees are appointed as local staff at the Dutch embassy in Morocco.
Terms and conditions
A job position for the period of one year. After a positive evaluation of your work and work attitude, a renewal is possible. Depending on the educational background and work experience of the applicant, the monthly salary amounts to a minimum of 27,569 MAD and a maximum of 41,353 MAD gross, based on a full working week of 37 hours with a full-time position (scale 8 Rrlok).
This job is not an expat function, it is a local position based on the salary and working conditions of the Dutch Embassy in Morocco. The Legal Status of Local Employees (Rrlok) and the related details of the position (Puw) of the Dutch Embassy, determined by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands, apply to the employment contract. Information about the terms of employment (Rrlok) can be found here.
Applicants can send their CV with cover letter no later than June 27 to the institute manager, Sarah Michiel: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention the vacancy identification number.
You can also contact her for more information about the position and the recruitment procedures.