Research | Communication
Academic Writing for PhDs
Do you want to develop and expand the skills required for writing reports, articles, books and dissertations in English? The course Academic Writing teaches participants to write in a way that is effective and appropriate for academic texts.
- Target group
- PhD candidate
- Bryan O'Donovan Anna Martonfi (Skills Lecturer) Ursula Caci (Skills Lecturer) Randy Bax (Foreign Language Teacher) Damir Klisanic (Foreign Language Teacher) Elly Dutton
- You can choose to follow this course on campus (Lipsius) or online
Why this course?
You will not only learn to acquire a correct usage of English language, but also to use effective and fitting English for an academic text. The course not only focuses on grammar and use of words but also on writing strategies that are typical of English academic writing.
You will focus on the following topics:
- How to structure information effectively
- How to link ideas and arguments smoothly to create a flowing text
- To take a critical view of your own work
- How to write clear and concise texts
- The conventions for stressing key constituents in English texts.
Participants are expected to have English language skills at level B2+ or higher in terms of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. An individual appointment will be made to conduct the test at the Academic Language Centre (Lipsius building, Cleveringaplaats 1). You will receive tekstbook: Swales, J.M., en C.B. Feak, Academic writing for graduate students: Essential Tasks and Skills (third edition), University of Michigan Press.
This course will take place over several sessions of 2 or 3 hours and you will be given about 14 hours of homework in between course days. Total workload: 56 hours.
- You can register for this course using the registration buttons on the right side of this page. Please note the difference between Staff (employee of Leiden University) and Extern/LUMC (e.g. extern, self-funded researchers or employee at LUmc).
- The course is free of charge for employee- and contract PhD candidates. Please check our Terms and Conditions.