Communication | Research
Online Presenting skills for PhDs
Giving lectures, sharing your ideas at a group meeting or presenting at a conference is part of your life as an academic researcher. With a good presentation, your audience will understand, believe and remember you. This course will help you improve your presentation skills. It has a specific focus on online presentations and is given online entirely.
- Target group
- PhD candidate
- Kick Moors (Gast trainer / coach) Hermen Visser (Science journalist and communication trainer)
- The workload for this course amounts to 16 hours, including attendance several training sessions and preparation
Why this course?
Being able to present well will help you to achieve your career goals. The sooner you start working on your presentation skills, the better you will be equipped when your future depends on it (e.g. defense of grand proposals). In this course you will learn to prepare and give presentations that help you to reach your goals, that are understandable, convincing and memorable. And, you will learn to deal with fear of speaking in public, to be authentic and truly enthusiastic, and how to adept to the online presentation setting. Thanks to two individual feedback sessions you will be able to work on those aspects you find most challenging and reach your next level in presenting.
The course will cover the following topics:
• Attuning your presentation to goal, audience, core message, and the online setting
• Making a structure that both convinces and explains
• Creating slides that support your story
• Delivery and dealing with stress
This course is given entirely online. It consists of two group meetings, one individual sessions with each trainer, and homework assignments.
NOTE: this course has a specific focus on online presentations and is given online entirely.
- You can register for this course using the registration buttons on the right side of this page. Please note the difference between Staff (employee of Leiden University) and Extern/LUmc (e.g. extern, self-funded researchers or employee at LUmc).
- The course is free of charge for employee- and contract PhD candidates. For external PhD candidates, we charge a fee of €565,-. Please check our Terms and Conditions.