Training course for education managers and leaders
Leiden University has a long history of academic traditions. At the same time, we innovate and lead in many areas of science. Developments within our organisation and beyond are rapid, which calls for flexible and connecting leadership. The course for educational managers/leaders contributes to leadership within complex (educational) organisations.
- Target group
- Teresa Cardoso Ribeiro (Publidox)
This training course will help present and future directors of education, programme directors and programme chairs take on their role in managing the educational process, both within departments and across departments and institutes.
- Clarifying the role of education managers/leaders: with one another other and with administrators and guest lecturers
- Becoming familiar with and able to use different influencing styles and interview techniques
- Gaining a deeper knowledge of our internal organisation, university frameworks, quality assurance process, including educational inspections and accreditations, and assessing educational programmes based on the vision on teaching and learning
- Reflecting on your own leadership: working smart within the context of Leiden University
- Building your network within the university with departments and other education managers and leaders.
The training course focuses on:
- Exploring the personal challenges that the role of education manager/leader entails
- Expanding your knowledge and leadership skills
- Operating and influencing in the Leiden University context
- Managing the education process, determining your own path in this process and inspiring others to follow this path with you
- Expanding your network of manager/leader colleagues and internal specialists
After completing the course
After the course, you will have a better understanding of your role as an education manager/leader. You will have a clear picture of your own responsibilities and powers; you will be aware of the arena in which you operate and how you relate to it; and you will be able to carry out, and where necessary, define your role.
This course comprises six half-days, grouped into four sessions and spread across a period of about two months. In addition to providing participants with knowledge and helping them develop leadership skills, the course offers a network of manager/leader colleagues and internal specialists who can advise them in their day-to-day work. The basic principle is that participants learn from and with one another by means of peer feedback as well as from their own case studies.
Session 1 – Environment awareness in Leiden – 9.30-17.00 Friday 29 September 2023
Session 2 – Authentic leadership – 13.00-17.00, Friday 6 October 2023
Session 3 – Leiden's Vision on Teaching and Learning – 13.00-17.00, Wednesday 1 November 2023
Session 4 – Making an authentic impact in the context of Leiden – 9.30 -17.00, Friday 1 December 2023
Session 1 – Environment awareness in Leiden – 9.30 -17.00 Friday 12 April 2024
Session 2 – Authentic leadership – 9.30 -13.30, Friday 26 April 2024
Session 3 – Leiden's Vision on Teaching and Learning – 13.00-17.00, Wednesday 15 May 2024
Session 4 – Making an authentic impact in the context of Leiden – 9.30 -17.00, Friday 7 June 2024