Conference | Network event
Anthropology of Asia at Leiden Update
- Thursday 17 November 2022
Pieter de la Court
2333 AK Leiden
Until Monday November 14, you can still register as an attendee at the event page. Registration is not mandatory, but registrations for lunch close by Monday November 14. Please note that you are also very welcome if you do not do a pitch yourself.Register for the Anthropology of Asia at Leiden Update
The Anthropology of Asia at Leiden Update is a networking event, hosted by the Research Cluster Asia of the Institute for Cultural Anthropology and Development Sociology. At the update, Leiden and The Hague based Anthropologists (PhD, Postdoc as well as more senior faculty) will give short pitches about the research that they are involved in.
The Update will be in person, at the Pieter de La Court building (FSW). The Update will be preceded by a walk-in lunch, and followed by drinks.
The ‘Update' is open to all who are involved with the network, which includes PhDs as well as faculty. Please let us know if you would are joining the Update and if you would like to pitch your research by filling out the form.
|13:00 - 14:00||
Walk in lunch (Room 5A23)
Please make sure you register on time, so we can order your lunch!
|14:00 - 14:05||Introduction to the meeting|
|14:05 - 14:30||
First block, individual pitches:
1. Mies Grijns (VVI): Between piety and desire: early marriage in West Java, Indonesia
2. Aryo Danusiri (IIAS): Urban Stories: Spatiality, Mediality, and Religious Authority
3. Aditya Kiran Kakati (IIAS): A historian among the Anthropologists
|14:30 - 14:55||
Second block, individual pitches:
1. Kasia Cwiertka (LIAS): research on food packaging in Japan
2. Daphne Wong-A-Foe (CADS): Everyday AI in Indonesia
3. James McGrail (CADS): How does AI effect self governance in the Muslim community of Singapore?
Third block, individual pitches:
1. Aditi Mukherjee (IIAS): Displaceability and citizenship: Temporary people at the urban margins of West Bengal
2. Elena Burgos Martinez (LIAS): Where do ecofeminism, political ecology and environmental anthropology meet?
3. Annemarie Samuels (CADS): Narratives and end-of-life care in Indonesia
|15:25 - 16:25||
Fourth block, institutional pitches:
1. KITLV: Diana Suhardiman
2. VVI: Adriaan Bedner
3. IIAS: Laura Erber, Aarti Kawlra
4. CADS: Bart Barendregt
|16:25 - 16:30||Closing of the meeting|
|16:30 - 17:30||Drinks (CADS common room)|