International Mother Language Day 2024
- Wednesday 21 February 2024
2511 VA The Hague
On Wednesday the 21st of February, the Faculty of Humanities of University Leiden together with the Embassy of Bangladesh, will celebrate its third hosting of International Mother Language Day in The Hague.
The event offers a diverse program, with various speakers and student music- and poetic performances – all to celebrate language and harmony in diversity! Afterwards, the embassy will serve authentic Bangladeshi snacks.
- Welcome by Professor Mark Rutgers (Dean of Faculty of Humanities and Professor of Social Philosophy)
- Welcome by H E M Riaz Hamidullah (Ambassador of Bangladesh to the Netherlands)
- Performance by Embassy of Bangladesh
- Remarks by Kathleen Ferrier (Chairman of UNESCO Nederland Commission)
- Performance by Chinese School Leiden
- Performance by Embassy of India
- Lecture on Creole by Stéphane Térosier (Postdoctoral researcher at Centre for Linguistics)
- Performance in Italian by Natalino Bucci (Theater maker and engineer at ESA)
- Introduction to Latvian music by Valerija Culkova (artist)
- Poetry Recital in Spanish by Nanne Timmer (Associate Professor at the Leiden University Centre for the Arts in Society)
- Remarks by Rabin S. Baldewsingh (National Coordinator against Discrimination and Racism)
- Cultural Performance by Embassy of Bolivia
- Introduction to Ukrainian food by Sofia Demchenko & Violetta Zinovieva (students)
- Lecture on Sign Language by Jean Jacques Tano (Guest researcher at the Leiden University Centre for Linguistics)
- Cultural Performance by Ahmed Al-Yousefi, Yahya Algabri & Issam Alkhawlani (Students at Leiden University)
- Cultural performance by Embassy of Morocco
- Cultural Performance by Embassy of the Philippines
- Poem by Petra Massaro (Student at Leiden University)
- Cultural Performance by Embassy of Kosovo
- Lecture by Federico Gobbo (University of Amsterdam)
Afterwards there will be drinks with authentic Bengali snacks served by the embassy.
Registration is closed.
Join the poster competition
We invite all students to join the poster competition for International Language Day 2024. Create a poster for the event with this year’s theme: Harmony in diversity and send in your design by 11th of February 2024 to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can use the art form of your choice, like digital art, a sketch or painting, as long as you can send in a photo by email.