Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Frequently asked questions

The government has announced that the measures against the coronavirus will be extended up to and including Tuesday 28 April. Here you will find frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the coronavirus outbreak. You can suggest topics that need to be addressed in these FAQs. Please contact us at our usual email addresses and phone number(s).

There are two types of health insurance in the Netherlands: basic health insurance (in Dutch: basisverzekering) and private insurance (in Dutch: privéverzekering). There are rules governing which kind of insurance you will need. For more information, see Health Insurance.

Basic health insurance
Zorg and Zekerheid (Z&Z) is Leiden University’s preferred supplier of basic health insurance. Information on their coverage is likely to be the same as for other basic health insurers, but if you have a different insurer and are currently staying outside the Netherlands, it is wise to check the terms and conditions of your insurer.

Medical costs while in the Netherlands:
All medical costs insured in the basic health insurance are covered. You will have to pay an excess (in Dutch: eigen risico) of €385 yourself.

Medical costs while staying outside the Netherlands:
Your basic health insurer will pay medical costs up to the rate that applies in the Netherlands. If you are outside the Netherlands, you will have to pay the excess of €385 yourself.

If you have additional insurance (in Dutch: aanvullende verzekering) and your costs exceed the Dutch 100% rate, these will also be covered unless:

  • You are in an area that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has designated as a red zone in its colour-coded advice.
  • The travel advice from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for an area abroad where you are currently staying changes to red, but you do not return to the Netherlands.

In case of planned hospitalisation, always apply in advance to Zorg en Zekerheid or check the terms and conditions if you have a different insurer.

If you are on a business trip, medical costs that exceed the Dutch rate will be covered by the University’s travel insurance.

Private health insurance
AON Complete + is Leiden University’s preferred private health insurance supplier.

AON covers your actual medical costs regardless whether you are in the Netherlands or abroad. All your medical costs are fully covered. You do NOT have to pay an excess.

- If you have AON complete + Insurance and are already in an area that has been designated as a red or orange zone in the advice from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, your actual medical costs will be covered

If you are an international non-earning staff member and travel to an area that has been designated as a red or orange zone in the advice from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, your actual medical costs will not be covered.

If you are on a business trip, medical costs not covered by your health insurance are covered by the university's travel insurance.

No, the IND is closed for these services until 28 April 2020. The IND desks can be visited for urgent matters by appointment only up to and including 28 April. This is due to the government's measures against the coronavirus.

Urgent matters that will be handled at IND desks:
SCIS can only make an appointment at an IND desk for internationals to collect their first regular residence document. The condition for this is that the international has travelled to the Netherlands with a Regular Provisional Residence Permit (mvv).

This consequently means that if the IND approved the extension of your residence permit you cannot pick up your residence card up to and including 28 April at least. However, you are legally residing in the Netherlands as soon as SCIS has applied for your extension with the IND. You can follow the status of your application in the SCIS portal. We will upload any formal letters from the IND to the document section under “Your registration”.  The “letter of acknowledgement” will offer you proof of legal residence in writing.

Yes, it is still possible to register at Leiden and The Hague Municipality.

Please contact your supervisor about a suitable starting date in The Netherlands.

Please contact your health insurer to explore options. Leiden university has a collective agreement with insurer “Zorg and Zekerheid” for the Basic health insurance.

How to arrange basic health insurance without a Citizen Service Number (BSN):

Zorg en Zekerheid will need a copy of your employment contract and proof of an appointment to be entered into the Municipality's Personal Records Database (BRP). Once Z&Z has received these documents, they will provide you with 'provisional cover'. If you require acute care, Z&Z will contact the care institution and will subsequently guarantee your care costs. As soon as you receive your BSN number, send this to Z&Z and your insurance premiums will be charged retroactively from the date on which you were accepted with 'provisional cover'. 

Only if you were not able to collect your residence card at the IND the letter of approval will suffice.

This website uses cookies.  More information.