You can use several video tools for remote teaching, namely Kaltura Live Room, Microsoft Teams and Zoom.
Want to know which tool is best for your situation? Check out a handy comparison of all tools. Or ask SOLO for advice.
Below you can read more about the different videotools.
The following instructions will help you with the further preparations of your hybrid class with Zoom, Kaltura Live Room or MS Teams.
- Read the instructions about creating a Zoom meeting via Brightspace or via the Zoom portal.
- If you have made a recording, after processing time it will be automatically added to the personal Kaltura My Media of the person who created the meeting. The video owner can then edit the recording and add it to the Brightspace course.
- Consult the manual for information about editing the video.
Kaltura Live Room
- Read the instructions about creating a Kaltura Live Room via Brightspace or via the videoportal.
- If you have made a recording, after processing time it will be automatically added to the Kaltura Media Gallery of the Brightspace course or to the channel on the video portal. The person who starts the recording is the owner of the video and will also find it in the personal Kaltura My Media afterwards. The video owner can edit the Kaltura video and place it in the Brightspace course content.
- Read the instructions about planning a Microsoft Teams Meeting or Webinar.
- When using the MS Teams desktop app in the education rooms, make sure you log in correctly (see below: Using MS Teams in teaching and meeting rooms).
- If you made a recording you can upload it to Kaltura and place it in your Brightspace course content. A Teams meeting recording is accessible for download to all participants, so make sure to delete the recording after uploading it to Kaltura.
- Consult the manual for information about editing the video once it’s uploaded to Kaltura.
Follow the instructions below to setup your videotool in a classroom.
1. Check the webcam placement, making sure you are in view when presenting. The closer the camera is to you the better for both image and audio quality. You can rotate the camera to bring the in-class students into view during an interactive part of the lecture.
2. Login to the video tool. You will need to use your phone for MFA authorisation.
- Open the Microsoft Teams desktop app via the Windows search bar. You can also use the MS Teams browser version via microsoft.teams.com, but this lacks the breakout room and share computer sound functionality.
- Use ULCNusername@vuw.leidenuniv.nl to log in.
- Choose “Nee, alleen bij deze app aanmelden” (required with desktop app only).
- Navigate to your Teams Calendar to access and start your scheduled meeting.
- Open the Zoom desktop app via the Windows search bar.
- Select Sign In with SSO.
- Enter universiteitleiden in the textbox and click Continue.
- Log in with your ULCN.
- Navigate to the Meetings tab to access and start your scheduled meeting.
Kaltura Live Room
Use Chrome to go to brightspace.universiteitleiden.nl. Login with your ULCN.
Navigate to your Brightspace course.
In the blue navigation bar, choose Course Tools and then Kaltura Media Gallery.
Select Launch Live Room to start your meeting.
3. Project the videotool via the beamer if you want the online participants to be visible in the classroom. Use the video tool’s ‘Share screen’ function to share any content you want to show to in-class and online students.
4. Log out of all programs and browsers afterwards!
- To avoid echoes open the videotool on one in-class device only and mute yourself before you start playing a video.
- Close the chat, participants, notes and playlist panel when you no longer need them. This way you leave more space for your presentation or document.
- Use F11 to enter (and exit) full-screen mode.
Videos can be easily shared with students via the university video platform Kaltura. This can be done in two ways: you can post videos in your Brightspace course, or you can post videos in a private channel on the video portal and give students access to this channel.
Videos are offered streamed and do not need to be downloaded by the student. There is no visible download button on Kaltura videos unless the owner actively turns this on in the video settings.
Option 1. Upload videos and make them available in Brightspace.
Option 2. Upload videos and share them through the video portal: