Communication | Outreach
Academic outreach: an introduction to sharing your research via social and conventional media
Academics are often asked about their work or seek contact with the media to talk about their research. This can range from a press release to a radio or TV appearance or from Twitter or Facebook to a personal blog. In this training you explore the world of social and conventional media.
- Target group
- PhD candidate
- Hermen Visser (science journalist and communication trainer) Sanne Frequin
- The workload for this course amounts to 6 hours (4 hours of training and 2 hours of homework)
Why this course?
Engaging the general public with your research is not only fun, but can also strengthen your academic profile. In this workshop you will identify the most engaging parts of your research, and discover how you can use different media channels to share your research.
After completing this workshop, you will be able to:
- Explain why you should engage the public with your research.
- Identify the most engaging part of your research.
- Identify the optimal media channel for your message.
- Employ different types of media (without it taking up too much time).
- Evaluate the impact of your outreach activities.
This workshop helps you to orient on and briefly practise with (non-academic) media. Are you looking for a more in-depth training about blogging? Take a look at Blogging about your research.
In this workshop, the trainers will switch between short presentations, cases, group discussions and exercises in which you practise your media skills.
The following topic will be addressed:
- The why of media (social and traditional)
- Media strategy
- Media: what and how?
- Selling your research
- You can register for this course using the registration buttons on the right side of this page. Please note the difference between Staff (employee of Leiden University) and Extern/LUmc (e.g. extern, self-funded researchers or employee at LUmc).
- The course is free of charge for employee- and contract PhD candidates. Please check our Terms and Conditions.