Copyright and Open Access for PhDs
What are the pitfalls when you start publishing? What are your legal (open access) obligations when graduating and depositing your thesis in the Leiden University Library? What are the options to publish open access with the publisher without any costs for the author? In this course you'll learn about copyright and how to publish open access.
- Target group
- PhD candidate
- Erna Sattler (Copyright Expert) Michelle van den Berk (Digital Scholarship Librarian)
Why this course?
This course will enable you to gain insight in the what, where and how of copyright and Open Access so you will be able to avoid pitfalls and make full use of your rights as an author and scholar.
Some topics that will be covered are:
- plagiarism, what is it and how to avoid it;
- publishing your article: watch out for pitfalls in the contract with your publisher;
- depositing your thesis in the University Repository (requirement for graduating): how to avoid problems;
- copyright and you as a teacher/lecturer;
- copyright and your students;
- open access policy at Leiden University;
- funder requirements;
- open access agreements with the publishers;
- institutional repository at Leiden University;
- enlarging the international visibility of your work
You can register for this course by sending an email to email@example.com stating your name, faculty and institute.