Didactics - University Teaching Qualification
Supervising thesis students (UTQ module)
Learn to coach and help students who have to write a thesis.
- Target group
- Niloufar Daneshkhah (PhD Candidate / Guest) Aayushi Shah (Learning & Innovation consultant, Trainer)
- For more information
Writing a thesis is a struggle for many students. How can lecturers make sure that it does not turn into an obstacle for both parties? In other words: what does optimal thesis supervision look like, and how far does your responsibility stretch?
This course focuses on supervision of the writing process and the assessment of BA and MA theses. The principles for PhD supervision are more or less the same.
This training is aligned with the UTQ objectives and supports you in working towards your university teaching qualification.
Programme - set up
This module consists of two meetings. During the first meeting we will discuss the following topics:
- Regonise several supervising roles
- Regonise stages in supervision
- Consider how far your responsibility strechtes
- Increase efficiency of supervision
- Give constructive feedback
During the second meeting we will discuss the following topics:
- Feedback written and oral
- Conversation skills
During the training the following questions will be answered:
- What is the purpose of a thesis?
- How are students prepared for the writing a thesis?
- How can students be guided?
- Wich expectations do you have of your students?
- What are your responsibilities as a supervisor?
- For Leiden University/LUMC staff and teachers from Erasmus University Rotterdam and TU Delft: €275
- For other participants: €385
4 hours assignments + 8 hours session
- I liked the amount of interaction; it’s very useful to learn from experiences and suggestions from other participants.
- The instructor was very good and I especially liked the peer consultancy.
- The course covers exactly what I was looking for.