13th International Congress of Egyptologists, 2023
- Sunday 6 August 2023 - Friday 11 August 2023
2311 BD Leiden
The International Congress of Egyptologists is the largest regular gathering of Egyptologists and specialists from related fields worldwide. It is held every four years, each time at a different host institution, and provides hundreds of scholars with the opportunity to share their research with colleagues.
Egyptology in Leiden
Leiden has been home to Egyptology since 1818, when the first large collection of Egyptian antiquities entered the Rijksmuseum van Oudheden. The world’s first Professor in Archaeology, museum director Caspar Reuvens thus ensured Leiden grew to be a national and international centre for the study of Ancient Egypt.
From 1910 onwards Egyptology has been taught at Leiden University, and the field has continued to flourish until today. Part of the Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, the department teaches all phases of the ancient Egyptian language and culture. Annual field-work projects in Egypt are organised in Saqqara, Luxor and the Dakhla Oasis.
The Leiden Papyrologisch Instituut was founded in 1935, with its emphasis on Demotic legal material, in combination with Greek texts.
The Nederlands Instituut voor het Nabije Oosten was established as an independent foundation in 1939, aiming to provide essential services for the study of the ancient Near East and Egypt. The institute has been integrated into the Faculty of Humanities in 2018.
In 2023, the XIIIth edition of the Congress is organised by Egyptologists from:
- Leiden University: section of Egyptology at the Leiden Institute of Area Studies (Faculty of Humanities)
- Leiden University: The Netherlands Institute for the Near East (NINO)
- Leiden University: Leiden Papyrological Institute
- National Museum of Antiquities, Leiden (Rijksmuseum van Oudheden) under the auspices of the International Association of Egyptologists (IAE).
Members of the Organising Committee are:
- Prof. Dr Olaf E. Kaper (President)
- Dr Miriam Müller (Treasurer)
- Dr Nico Staring (Secretary)
- Dr Koen Donker van Heel
- Fania Kruijf, MA
- Noha Mahran
- Andrés Martín García de la Cruz, MA
- Dr Daniel Soliman
- Carolien H. van Zoest, MA