Communication | Working effectively
Effective communication: how to build effective work relationships
If you want your PhD project to be a success, effective communication is essential. In this one day course, we will provide you with a few techniques that will help you to clarify intentions, understand cultural differences and increase your influence.
- Target group
- PhD candidate
- Aletta Wubben (Mens- en Organisatieontwikkeling)
- The workload for this course amounts to 6 hours, including preparation and attendance during 2 training session.
Why this course?
The PhD process is about realising an ambition. This requires talent as a researcher but also the ability to manage yourself and your environment. How you communicate with people who are in one way or another involved in this process is essential. You can encounter everything in that communication. How do you deal with someone who has other interests than you? How can you influence a colleague who has a different vision? How to discuss your setbacks with your supervisor? Every situation offers a range of response options and the one approach will yield more than the other. It is important to understand communications and how to anticipate.
This course is for PhDs from Leiden University and LUMC, who want to learn how to communicate constructively and influentially. In this workshop you’ll be more aware of your style of interaction, and will have guidelines for more effective communication with your PhD supervisor/manager, mentor, colleagues and others. We will provide you with a few techniques that will help you to clarify intentions, understand cultural differences and increase your influence.
Prior to the course you will receive a questionnaire about your expectations and objectives. You will also be asked to give an example of a difficult situation you have encountered. During the day we will look at these personal examples and the relevant theory. Topics covered:
- Styles of influence
- Handling differences in outlook and interests
- Unarticulated expectations
- Taboos in communication
- Giving and receiving feedback
- Cultural differences in communication
- You can register for this course using the registration buttons on the right side of this page. Please note the difference between Staff (employee of Leiden University) and Extern/LUmc (e.g. extern, self-funded researchers or employee at LUmc).
- The course is free of charge for employee- and contract PhD candidates. For external PhD candidates, we charge a fee of €250,-.
- After confirmation we kindly ask you to mark your calendar and save the date(s) for this course.