As an employee at Leiden University you need a LU-Card. You can request your LU-Card after receiving your contract or guest letter. Early application is not possible. Are you a temporary employment worker e.g. via Jobmotion? In that case, ask your supervisor about the status of your registration with the university. You can only apply for a LU-Card after the registration has been completed by the PSSC.
When do you need the LU-Card?
It is very important that you have a LU-Card. You use it as:
- ID from Leiden University
- library card of the UBL
- print and copy card
- access card to buildings and rooms
- access card to car parks.
Applying for your LU-Card
- You can apply for your LU-Card by logging in to Account Services with your ULCN account details.
- Go to ‘My profile’ and check whether your correspondence address is correct. LU-Cards are sent by post and only to addresses in The Netherlands. If your Dutch correspondence address is incorrect, update it via SAP Self Service (via Remote Workplace) or contact the PSSC Service Point. Note that it will take a couple of days for your address update to be processed in your ULCN account.
- Note: Has the effective date of your contract not yet started? Then it is possible that the address of the university (Rapenburg 70) is visible. This will be adjusted automatically after your registration is completed by the PSSC.
- Do not proceed until the correct address is shown in Account Services.
- Go to 'My profile' and upload a passport photo. Make sure your photo meets the photo requirements.
- Is this your first LU-Card? You will receive your LU-Card at your Dutch correspondence address within 5 to 10 working days. Have you previously owned a LU-Card on this account? Then report to a LU-Card Helpdesk after uploading the photo.
The LU-Card you receive via mail cannot be used immediately. It first has to be activated. Read more>>>
To apply for the LU-Card, you need a digital passport photo that has to meet a number of conditions. You apply for the LU-Card by uploading your photo. If your photo is rejected, your application for your LU-Card will not be processed, and you will receive a message to this effect by email. You can then upload a new photo.
Is this your first LU-Card? Then you can request the LU-Card by uploading the photo. Have you had a LU-Card before? Then report to a LU-Card Helpdesk after uploading the photo.
Applying for a LU-Card for a guest or visitor
If your guest or visitor has a ULCN account with broad facilities such as access to a network disc, they can apply for a LU-Card themselves via uPrefs. If your guest or visitor does not have a LU-Card or has a LU-Card with limited facilities, you can apply for a LU-Card on their behalf via your Guest Management System (GMS) contact person.
You need a LU-Card at a number of locations to be able to print and copy. Staff at these locations automatically have a credit on their LU-Card. Other staff can credit their LU-Card online or via a PinPoint at a University location.
If you have problems with printing and copying using your LU-Card, please report this as quickly as possible via this form.
First upload a current passport photo in Account Services. Then go to one of the helpdesks to block your current LU-Card and to pick up your new LU-Card. There may be costs involved in this. Take your current LU-Card or valid proof of identity with you.
When you leave the University, your LU-Card will be deactivated. If you are leaving temporarily, don’t throw your LU-Card away because it can be re-activated at a later date.
What should you do if your LU-Card stops working or you have some other problem?Questions about your LU-Card