Organisation, Human resources
Vacancy (urgent!): student-member of the Programme Board of the Institute of Political Science
Representing students’ interests and perspectives
Due to the departure of the current student-member, the Programme Board of the Institute of Political Science seeks a new student-member for the remainder of the 2022-2023 academic year (until 31 August 2023) as well as the academic year 2023-2024.
This is an important position: the student-member is responsible for representing students’ interests and perspectives within the institute’s governance. The current student-member describes it as “an insightful and engaging opportunity to learn about administration and voice student interests.”
The student-member works for 6 hours per week for the Institute. This position normally runs from 1 September to 31 August, but because we are hiring advanced into the year, candidates are preferably available for 1 May 2023 – 31 August 2024. Proficiency in the Dutch language is strongly preferred but not required. In case you do not understand Dutch, you will be responsible for interpreting Dutch documents yourself. Below you will find more details on this position and the application procedure.
As a student-member, you will attend weekly or bi-weekly board meetings and reflect from a student perspective on everything that has to do with education and teaching. In addition and more generally, you will form the link between the Institute and students, while working together with other students at the Institute and Faculty level in order to voice and safeguard the interests of all Bachelor and Master students at our Institute.
Overview of tasks
- Participate in weekly or bi-weekly Board meetings
- Participate in the (faculty-level) Student Programme Boards Consultation (1x per month)
- Organise and conduct elections for the BSc and MSc Programme Committees (OLCs)
- Keep in touch with the student-members of the Programme Committees (OLCs) and study/student association(s)
- Participate as a student member in the selection/hiring committees of new teaching staff, and in other ad hoc advisory committees
- You must be registered as a student during your appointment as student-member, in one of the Bachelor specialisations (Political Science, IP or IRO) or one of the Master specialisations of the Institute of Political Science.
- You are consistently available throughout the academic year and do not have any extended travel plans, such as an internship or a study abroad.
- You can work with both Dutch and English documents.
- You can maintain the strict confidentiality of sensitive information and documents that are shared within the board.
- You are flexibly available for ad hoc consultation and decision-making.
- You are prepared to travel between Leiden and The Hague for meetings and maintain a relationship with various bodies of the Faculty. Any travel costs made between Leiden and The Hague will be reimbursed.
How to apply
If you are enthusiastic and motivated to take up this position from 1 May, apply now! Send a short motivation letter (max 1 A4) and your CV to the student assessor of the Faculty Board, Laura Boncz, no later than 10 April 2023 (23:59).
If you are selected for an interview you will receive an email before Wednesday 12 April 2023, 13:00.
Job interviews will be held (in person) on Thursday 13 April 2023, between 10:00 and 13:00.