Supplement your retirement pension
When you retire, your income is almost certain to be lower than what you are used to. You can take measures now to supplement your pension later.
ABP Supplementary Pension
ABP Extra Pension
ABP Extra Pension allows you to save for a supplement to your pension via your ABP pension. This scheme is voluntary; you decide for yourself whether you want to participate. You pay into ABP Extra Pension via your gross salary. You are legally entitled to accrue a certain amount of pension tax-free. This means that you do not pay tax or employee contributions on the salary you save through ABP Extra Pension.
How much extra can you pay in?
Be aware that the amount you pay into ABP Extra Pension may not exceed your scope for pension tax relief for the current calendar year. Your scope for pension tax relief is the difference between your extra pension and the amount of pension you are already accruing.
Your contribution to ABP Extra Pension must not exceed your scope for pension tax relief for the current calendar year. To be eligible for ABP Extra Pension, you must have sufficient tax scope, which is different for everyone. It is possible that you have no tax scope. Your scope for pension tax relief is published annually in MijnABP around mid-May.
How can you supplement your pension?
If you have sufficient tax scope, there are several ways to contribute through your gross salary:
- A fixed amount per month
- A one-off contribution
- Incidental contributions (e.g., from your holiday allowance or end-of-year-end bonus)
You can supplement your pension as long as you are in employment and you accrue a pension with ABP via your employer.
More information about ABP Extra Pension and a calculation tool can be found on the ABP website.
How can you start contributing to ABP Extra Pension?
If you want to supplement your retirement pension, follow the steps below:
- Use the calculator tool in MijnABP to check that the amount you want to save does not exceed your scope for pension tax relief for the current calendar year. Download this document.
- Find your ABP client number in MijnABP.
- Contact the PSSC Service Desk via the helpdesk portal.
- Indicate that you want to build up extra pension via ABP Extra Pension.
- Indicate the amount you want to contribute through your gross salary: per month, a one-time contribution or incidental contributions (holiday allowance or end-of-year bonus).
- Also submit the document you downloaded from MijnABP detailing your scope for pension tax relief and your ABP client number.
- The PSSC Service Desk will ensure that the contribution is deducted from your salary from this point on.