All persons making use of Leiden University buildings and grounds must comply with the general University house rules. These are listed in the Regulations on the Use of University Buildings, Grounds and Other Facilities, and are intended to guarantee order and safety for guests and staff alike.
In addition to the University Regulations, some University locations also have their own house rules. Violation of the local house rules or the University Regulations may lead to exclusion from a building.
Last, the Leiden University campus protocol contains the measures and guidelines regarding the coronavirus that apply within the university, by which we ensure the safety and health of our students and employees and minimize the risk of further spread of the virus.
Download the arrangement
Use of university buildings, terrains and other facilities regulationDownload
Download the protocol
This protocol contains the measures and guidelines regarding the coronavirus that apply within the university.Download
The WSD complex is subject to a number of house rules. These are set out in the house regulations and are intended to guarantee order and safety for visitors and staff in the building.
Building and common spaces
- There is a general ban for smoking on university grounds.
- It is forbidden to make any changes to Leiden University installations, configurations or equipment without written confirmation from the employer.
- It is strictly forbidden to plug in or use microwave ovens in common spaces and offices. The Lipsius restaurant has a microwave oven available for general use.
- Pets are not allowed, with the exception of assistance animals such as guide dogs.
- Do not leave faculty property unattended and lock your office even if you only go away for a few minutes.
- Close windows and doors and switch off all lights and equipment when you leave.
- Emergency exits must be kept clear at all times.
- Bicycles can only be placed in the bicycle stands intended for this purpose. Wrongly parked bicycles will be removed.
- In common spaces people are required to behave so as to not cause any disturbance.
- No obstacles may be placed in corridors, toilets, lifts and staircases.
- It is not permitted to block and/or sit on the stairs in the building.
- The Board is not liable for any loss or damage to personal belongings.
- Activities that cause disturbance or noise should take place on workdays between 7.30 hrs and 9.00 or in the weekend, so as not to disturb lectures. These activities should be agreed on beforehand with the complex management personnel.
- The parking garages of the WSD complex are only accessible to University personnel. Loading and unloading should take place at specific designated places on the complex. These are subject to a maximum parking time of 1,5 hour. With the exception of these designated places, parking is not permitted on the WSD complex.
- The Doelen island is a residential area and you should take this into account in your traffic behaviour: drive at walking footpace, don’t leave your engine running, switch off your flashing lights and don’t sound your horn.
- Drop off and pick up people on the Witte Singel. Don’t drive onto the Doelen island to do so.
- Suppliers should first report to the Lipsius reception before unloading, loading and/or starting their work.
To report failures, or for remarks, complaints and requests, please contact the UFB Service Desk. Opening hours from 9.00 hrs to 17.00 hrs, ext. 2400 or Servicedesk@hum.leidenuniv.nl
The following are not permitted without permission from the complex management personnel:
- Hanging up flags or banners in or on buildings
- Hanging up posters elsewhere than on designated notice boards (lounge corner of the Lipsius restaurant)
- Organising promotional activities in traffic areas
- Organising get-togethers, receptions or parties outside the buildings’ opening hours
- Pets are not permitted, with the exception of assistance animals such as guide dogs.
- It is not permitted to bring food or drinks to lecture and computer rooms
- Make sure your mobile phone is on silent mode or switched off during lectures
- Do not leave Faculty property unattended (during breaks)
- It is not permitted to move or remove any of the furniture in a lecture room outside the room.
- When using equipment from the Lipsius reception (such as hands-free microphone) the user is responsible for the borrowed equipment and for returning it in full and immediately after use.
- As user of a lecture room, you are responsible for leaving the room in a good condition and clean for the next user. You should therefore close all windows and doors after the lecture, and turn off all lights and equipment.
To report failures, or for remarks and/or complaints, please contact the UFB Scheduling Rooms department (UFB Zalenbeheer), opening hours from 9.00 hrs to 12.00 hrs, ext. 2402 or Zalenbeheer@ufb.leidenuniv.nl
Lipsius restaurant, North and Huizinga coffee rooms
- It is strictly forbidden to connect or use your own electric equipment except study-related equipment (laptop, iPad, netbook, etc.) in the restaurant.
- It is not permitted to study in the restaurant between 12.00 hrs and 14.00 hrs. During this period restaurant guests are given priority over other users.
- It is not permitted to use restaurant furniture elsewhere than in the restaurant.
- Without prior permission from the management personnel, it is not permitted to distribute folders from promotion or advertising activities in any way.
- Visitors who violate the house rules and/or do not comply with the instructions of WSD staff may be denied access to the WSD complex. The building is equipped with video cameras to protect your and our property. The complex management personnel are authorised to impose suitable sanctions in response to violations of the house rules.
- Any damage caused must be compensated. Expenses as a result of a failure to comply with the rules may be charged at any time.
If you fail to comply with one or more of these rules, the management personnel staff are authorised to issue a warning.